SAFEGUARDS | Personal Protective EquipmentNO. 105/20
Filtering facepiece (FFP) masks are one type of personal protective equipment intended to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne liquid and solid particles. However, after recent market surveillance conducted by EU Member States, the EU RAPEX issued multiple notifications of non-conformity against the Personal Protective Equipment Regulation (EU) 2016/425 and the relevant European harmonized standard EN 149 for respiratory protective devices.
According to the notifications, filtering facepiece (FFP) masks non-conformities are related to several issues:
- Products claim their particle filter retention of the material, but the performance is insufficient;
- Products bear a CE marking but are not certified as protective equipment by a relevant body;
- Products advertise their biocidal protective potential against viral particles and other micro-organisms, but neither the filtering capacity was certified nor their use as biocidal products was authorised by the relevant European bodies and legislations
Further noted is authorities, filtering facepiece (FFP) masks identified as non-conforming can then be:
- Rejected to import at borders
- Withdrawn from the market and recalled from end users
- Temporarily banned on the supply
- Marked on the product with appropriate warnings on the risks, or
- Banned on the marketing and any accompanying measures in EU markets.
The EU rapid alert system (RAPEX) aims to provide information for consumers about products which pose a serious risk and is subject to European legislations which are to ensure a consistent, high level of protection for the health and safety of consumers.
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Consumer and Retail — Softlines
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
t: +1 973 461 7919
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.