ISO Publishes 8124-3:2020 ‘Migration of Certain Elements’
ISO has published 8124-3:2020 for the migration of certain elements from toys. The new standard details new procedures for dewaxing and a completely new section for the analysis of elements.
SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile ProductsNO. 045/20
In March 2020, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) published ISO 8124-3:2020, the latest toy safety standard for the migration of certain elements. This latest version of the standard incorporates the changes from ISO 8124-3:2010/Amd.1:2014 and ISO 8124-3:2010/Amd.2:2018 (SafeGuardS 154/18).
The new standard contains, inter alia, the following changes:
- Separating the definitions for paper and paperboard:
- Paper means sheet formed by irregular intervened cellulose fibers with a mass per unit area of 400 g/m² or less. Laminated paper or paper with other treatments that may be resistant to wetting are not treated as paper
- Paperboard, which includes card or cardboard materials, means sheet formed by irregular intervened cellulose fibers with a mass per unit area of more than 400 g/m², excluding pressed fiberboards such as medium density fiberboard (MDF), chipboard and materials with similar properties
- Two detailed methods for using n-heptane to remove grease, oil, wax or similar materials on solid form materials intended to leave a trace (Methods A and B)
- A completely new Annex C as informative content for preparative and analytical procedures involving the analysis of eight elements (antimony, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury and selenium) using Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES)
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.