Ukraine has published a resolution to restrict lead in paints and varnishes. The restrictions will become effective on November 7, 2021.
On May 7, 2021, Ukraine published Resolution No. 432 of April 28, 2021 ‘Technical Regulation on the restriction of lead in paints, varnishes and raw materials’ (the Resolution).
The Resolution contains, inter alia, several important provisions. It:
- Clarifies that the scope applies to paints and raw materials (pigments and pigment concentrates) that can be used for the manufacture of lead-based paints (See Annex 1 to Technical Regulation for list of raw materials containing lead)
- Defines a restriction limit for lead content in the non-volatile part of the paint materials
- Prohibits the use, production and import of raw materials in Annex 1 to Technical Regulation for the manufacture of paints and varnishes from November 7, 2021
- Exempts paints and raw materials for restoration works, works of art and other objects of cultural heritage but such lead-based paints or raw materials must contain a label ‘НЕБЕЗПЕЧНО: містить свинець. Не застосовувати на поверхнях, доступних дітям чи вагітним жінкам! (Danger: contains lead. Do not use on surfaces accessible to children or pregnant women!)
- Defines the list of standards for sample preparation and instrumentation (see Table 1 below)
- Raw material suppliers for the manufacture of paints and varnishes to provide safety data sheets (SDS)
- Requires the conformity mark as established by Ukraine Law ‘On Technical Regulations and Conformity Assessment’ to be applied to the paint material and raw material component so that it is visible, legible and indelible, otherwise to be affixed to the packaging and indicate in the accompanying documents
Highlights of the new Resolution on lead requirements are summarized in Table 1.
|Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine |
Resolution No. 432 of April 28, 2021 ‘Technical Regulation on the restriction of lead in paints, varnishes and raw materials’
|Lead||Paints, varnishes and raw materials||≤ 90 mg/kg1,2||November 7, 2021|
1Sampling and preparation methods:
2Analytical method: ISO 6503:1984 (Flame atomic absorption spectrometry, FAAS)
If you manufacture, distribute, or retail DIY tools and hardware, SGS is the perfect partner to support your business along the supply chain and throughout production. Our experts will help your business achieve maximum efficiency and minimum risk at each stage of the value chain. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Discover more on our website or read our paint brochure.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: +886 (02) 2299-3939
© SGS Group Management SA - 2021 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.