New EU Standards on Safety of Children’s Clothing
The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) has developed a set of 4 new documents to evaluate the safety of children’s clothing regarding the mechanical properties on small attached components.
SAFEGUARDS | SoftlinesNO. 178/20
Of the 4 documents (one is published as an EU Standard and others are issued as Technical Specifications (TS)) to be used as reference to check compliance of children’s clothing with small attached components against the requirements set forth in the General Product Safety Directive (GPSD).The GPSD aims to assure all products placed on the EU market are safe and protect children from fatal incidents. The documents are developed based on the existing CEN/TR 16792:2014 – Safety of children’s clothing – Recommendations for the design and manufacture of children’s clothing – Mechanical safety.
EN 17394-2:2020 – Textiles and textile products – Part 2: Safety of children’s clothing - Security of attachment of buttons – Test method
- Defines a test method for security of attachment of functional and decorative buttons to clothing including garments such as gloves, hats, scarves, hosiery, ties, and textile belts.
- The scope of this document is limited to sewn-on buttons, toggle buttons and tack buttons.
CEN/TS 17394-3:2021 – Textiles and textile products – Part 3: Safety of children’s clothing – Security of attachment of metal mechanically applied press fasteners – Test method
- Defines a test method for security of attachment of functional and decorative metal mechanically applied press fasteners to children’s clothing including e.g. gloves, hats, scarves, hosiery, ties, and textile belts.
- Eyelets and rivets cannot be tested by this method as the integrity of the component when attached to textile fabrics is destroyed in the gripping action. Eyelets and rivets shall be assessed as described in CEN/TS 17394-4.
- The scope of this document is limited to metal mechanically applied components.
CEN/TS 17394-4:2021 – Textiles and textile products – Part 4: Safety of children’s clothing – Security of attachment of components except buttons and metal mechanically applied press fasteners – Test method
- The method described in this document complements EN 17394-2 and CEN/TS 17394-3, and is applicable to all other components including labels, badges, sequins, rhinestones, rivets, eyelets and non-metal press fasteners, which are too small to be gripped in test equipment jaws or their integrity is disrupted by gripping.
- The performance requirements are provided in CEN/TS 17394-1.
- The method is an extremely aggressive wash method developed to assess if the components remain attached after multiple washings.
- It is specifically applicable to clothing, where the detachment of these components might result in accidents to children.
CEN/TS 17394-1:2021 – Textiles and textile products – Part 1: Safety of children’s clothing – Security of attachment of attached components to infants’ clothing – Specification
- Provides requirements for security of attachment for clothing components that are considered as small parts such as buttons, press fasteners, rivets, sequins, diamantes (or pieces of these components) which fit entirely within the small parts cylinder without compression, for infants’ clothing.
All the above documents do not apply to:
(a) childcare articles;
(b) shoes, boots and similar footwear;
(c) toys (disguise costumes including carnival costumes are examples of clothing which are also toys and fall within the scope of the Toy Safety Directive);
(d) other articles sold with clothing.
Note: The listed items (a) – (d) are covered by other CEN Technical Committees and as such are out of scope of all the above listed documents.
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Discover more at www.sgs.com/softlines.
For enquiries, please contact:
Consumer and Retail — Softlines
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
t: +1 973 461 7919
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.