SAFEGUARDS | Personal Protective EquipmentNO. 160/20
The Standardization Administration of China issued its mandatory national standard GB 20653-2020 Protective clothing—High visibility warning clothing for professional use. Being included in China’s No. 18 announcement on the newly approved national standards in 2020, this new standard will replace the previous version, GB 20653-2006. The new mandatory national standard will become effective on August 1, 2021.
ScopeThis standard is applicable for high visibility clothing intended to provide conspicuous warning of the worker in an environment with low visibility.
Definition for high visibility warning clothing
Clothing by special design using fluorescent material and retroreflective material, intended to provide increased conspicuity and warning in situations where the risk of not being seen is high.
Main Technical Contents
These technical contents include requirements for classes and design, performance requirements for background material, non-fluorescent material and combined-performance material, retroreflective performance requirements for retroreflective material and combined-performance material.
Main Technical Changes
There are several important revisions to GB 20653, contained in the 2020 version. These include the following additions:
- some terms and definitions
- requirement for measurement for area of high visibility warning clothing and class rating
- requirement for chemical properties and test methods for background material and non-fluorescent material
- normative annex D “Positioning of bands of retroreflective material for industrial wash test”
- Informative annex F “environment risk level and guidelines for the design of high visibility garments”
- standard name is adjusted from <High visibility warning clothing for professional use> to <Protective clothing—High visibility warning clothing for professional use>
- design requirement for warning clothing
- ergonomics requirement for warning clothing
- requirements for colourfastness to perspiration of background material and non-fluorescent material
- requirements for colourfastness (domestic and commercial laundering, dry-cleaning, bleaching (hypochlorite), hot pressing) of background material and non-fluorescent material
- requirement for dimensional change of background material and non-fluorescent material and test method of dimensional change
- requirement for mechanical properties for background material and non-fluorescent material
- retroreflective performance requirement for separate performance retroreflective material and cancelled three classes.
- test methods of dimensional change after washing or dry-cleaning
- graphical symbol of high visibility warning clothing and deleted the markings (indicating Performance Class) of the graphical symbol of GB 20653-2006.
Details of the Technical Content
For more information, please refer to the China National Mandatory Standard GB 20653-2020<Protective clothing—High visibility warning clothing for professional use> or contact SGS directly.
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Discover more at www.sgs.com/softlines.
For enquiries, please contact:
Consumer and Retail — Softlines
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
t: +1 973 461 7919
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.