China Releases a New Product Standard GB/T 38418-2019 General Technical Requirements for Donated Textiles
China issued a national standard on general technical requirements for donated textiles, GB/T 38418-2019. The standard will become effective on July 1, 2020.
SAFEGUARDS | SoftlinesNO. 040/20
The Standardization Administration of China issued its recommended national standard GB/T 38418-2019 on general technical requirements for donated textiles. Included in 2019 China No. 19 Announcement on newly approved national standards, this new national standard will become effective on July 1, 2020.
This standard applies to the new and used textiles donated through non-profit organization or other relevant organization. The used textiles should be usable after being professionally disinfected. This standard does not apply to donated infant textile products.
The donated textiles shall be classified into Category I and Category II according to the usable state.
- Category I: Unused textile products, including non-bulk products donated by individuals and organizations and bulk products donated by enterprises.
- Category II: Used textile products that are usable after professionally cleaning and disinfection.
- Category I: Shall meet the requirements of GB 18401, GB 31701 or GB/T 18383-2007. Non-bulk donated products also shall meet the hygienic requirements of GB/T 38418-2019.
- Category II: Shall meet the requirements for safety, appearance and hygienic performance. For safety performance, the product shall meet the below requirements.
For safety performance, the product shall meet the below requirements.
- No odor specified in GB 18401 and ozone odor;
- No residual metal needles or other sharp objects;
- No sharp point or sharp edges on children’s textile products;
- Cords and drawstrings on children’s garments shall comply with the requirements in GB 31701.
Details of the Technical Content
For more information, please refer to the China Product Standard GB/T 38418-2019 (General Technical Requirements for Donated Textiles) or contact SGS directly.
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Discover more at www.sgs.com/softlines.
For enquiries, please contact:
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
t: +1 973 461 7919
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.