The SGS Sustainability Ambitions 2030 are based on our sustainability pillars and the programs developed in each of them, both locally and globally. These programs are disseminated across the network to share good practices between the affiliates and are periodically assessed to evaluate their results and promote continuous improvement.
Protecting the planet is a social, economic, ethical and environmental imperative. As a recognized sustainability leader, we are committed to minimizing our environmental footprint and delivering sustainable value to society.
Our climate change strategy includes three pillars:
- Reducing energy consumption at source
- Using renewable energy whenever possible
- Offsetting residual emissions
We have committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions through the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). We are supporters of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD). We have maintained our Carbon Neutral status since 2014.
Our climate change strategy: reducing energy consumption
Our top priority is to reduce energy consumption at source. To achieve this, some of our global programs include:
- Energy Efficiency in Buildings program (EEB): we design specific energy efficiency plans for our highest consumption buildings
- Green IT Strategy: the actions within this plan aim to reduce the IT asset emissions
- Sustainable Mobility: under our Vehicles policy, we undertake several initiatives to promote low fleet emissions
Our climate change strategy: using renewable energy and carbon offsetting
We are introducing renewable energy into our operations wherever possible. As a signatory to the RE100 initiative, we have pledged to source 100% of our energy requirements from renewable sources, either through onsite energy generation or renewable energy procurement. So far, 95% of the electricity consumed by SGS comes from renewable sources.
Our third pillar, carbon offsetting, allows us to compensate any residual emissions through our carbon offsetting initiatives.
Responsible use of natural resources
Though our activities do not involve intensive water use, our labs are our highest source of water consumption. Various initiatives support our goal of monitoring and minimizing the amount of water we consume across our operations.
Likewise, the waste we produce is relatively low (chemicals, test samples, paper, plastic and organic waste from our offices and laboratories). We have several initiatives to promote reduction and reuse waste, whenever possible. For example, we exchange surplus laboratory equipment across our network through the EquipNet platform, and donate clean waste samples for charitable purposes.
We provide our customers with a wide range of services that have a positive impact on their environmental performance across their entire value chain.Find out more
People are at the very center of our business and the key to our success. All our efforts are focused on addressing the needs of our diverse workforce and unlocking their potential while we support the communities where we work and live.
Our talent acquisition goal is to attract the best people to work at SGS, now and into the future.
To achieve this goal:
- We provide our HR professionals with training on recruitment best practices
- We foster online recruitment through strategic partnerships with digital platforms
- We provide a comprehensive onboarding program to accompany our new employees during their first months with us
Health and Safety
The health and safety of employees and contractors operating in our facilities is a top priority to drive our business success. Our approach is based on 8 pillars and 15 rules that we disseminate and monitor at different levels:
- Mandatory annual e-learning for all employees to create awareness
- Safety talks and Safety Month, with different activities to create awareness
- Multi-leveled audit approach, beginning with annual site audits by the in-country team
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global organization with over 89,000 employees worldwide, we recognize the value that diversity brings to our business. Our workforce is characterized by diversity of nationality, culture, religion, age, sexual orientation and gender. Our programs include:
- Training on recruitment best practice, talent acquisition and diversity best practice
- Ethnic diversity-focused initiatives in several countries
- Specific diversity and inclusion strategies in several countries
Training and Development
Our talent development programs are tailored to suit local market conditions, business needs and employee expectations, ensuring that our talents are equipped to meet the needs of our customers across the globe. Our knowledge management platform, SGS Campus, enables us to nurture a knowledge-sharing culture.
Our performance appraisal is also crucial for our employee development. Our focus is to continue moving towards a more continuous feedback culture to ensure timely actions and recognition for our employees.
Engagement, Well-being and Compensation
The well-being of our employees and how happy they are at work reflects on their performance, commitment and creativity. Our programs include:
- Our Catalyst employee engagement survey, which helps us understand our employees’ expectations and better address their demands
- Well-being initiatives at global and local level, from health training programs to flexible working hours and semi-retirement plans
- Our annual SGS People 15-day challenge, which includes activities for employees, their families and local communities to strengthen the SGS community
Adding value to society through our community involvement is an essential component of our business strategy. We commit to investing in the communities where we operate under three pillars:
- Environmental sustainability
These aim to address global priorities related to poverty, equal opportunities, health, education, climate change and environmental degradation.
We offer our clients a wide range of services to ensure the quality of their products and the health and safety of the end consumer.Find out more
At the core of everything we do, lies our commitment to the highest standards of integrity and professional excellence. We strive to maintain these standards in the way we do business.
Integrity and Human Rights
Our success depends on our ability to maintain customer and stakeholder trust and high standards of integrity. To ensure compliance, several policies and procedures are in place:
- SGS Code of Integrity: Our main principles of professional integrity that apply to all our employees, officers, directors and our affiliated companies
- Integrity training: Our annual integrity training is mandatory for all employees
- Human rights policy and human rights training: The policy aligns with the key international human rights legislation and sets out our approach to respecting human rights across our global business
Sustainable Supply Chain
Being a global company gives us the opportunity to disseminate good business practices across our partners. To do so, we have implemented several programs to ensure that our supply chain meets our sustainability criteria:
- Supplier Code of Conduct: applies to all new, critical and high-risk suppliers
- New supplier selection and supplier assessment process: including sustainability criteria
- Diversity and inclusion in the supply chain: some of our affiliates are working on specific diversity programs in their supply chain. These pilot projects will help improve the global sustainable supply chain management process
Innovating the way we do business
We recognize that innovation is key to our economic growth and sustainable success, both in terms of driving operational efficiencies in our own operations, and in developing innovative services that add value for our customers.
We focus on three main priorities:
- Supporting internal processes through digital technologies
- Digitalizing external services for our customers and improving the customer experience
- Developing entire new products and business models
We have also applied innovation to our laboratory processes, where the World Class Services methodology has demonstrated a measurable increase in efficiency.
We help our customers to establish, organize and develop rigorous processes, enabling them to efficiently manage their business operations.Find out more