This month (September 2022), ISO has published a new version of the safety standard related to mechanical and physical properties for toys – ISO 8124-1:2022. It cancels and replaces ISO 8124-1:2018.
ISO 8124-1:2022 applies to all toys, i.e. any product designed or clearly intended for use in play by children under 14 years of age. The requirements in this standard specify acceptable criteria for structural characteristics of toys, such as shape, size, contour and spacing, as well as acceptable criteria for properties peculiar to certain categories of toys.
ISO 8124-1:2022 incorporates amendments ISO 8124-1:2018/Amd.1:2020 and ISO 8124-1:2018/Amd.2:2020, which relate to requirements for flying toys and various aspects such as expanding materials and assembly. Further to the incorporation of these amendments, here is a summary of the additional technical updates in the new standard:
- Small part requirements for writing materials do not include removable components
- Warnings required on packaging may instead be placed on the product itself, as long as they are clearly visible to the consumer before the purchase
- Various options for ventilation openings are provided for toys which a child can enter
- Added new speed limitations for electrically driven ride-on toys
- Added acoustic requirements (maximum A-weighted sound pressure level) for pull or push toys
- Added requirements for functional toys and toys intended to come into contact with food
- Added requirements for inflatable toys, which also include toys not to be used in water
- The dimensions of the head probe for testing hazardous loops are modified
- Various updates on warnings and the location of warnings
SGS can help you to sell and distribute your toys internationally. As a global leader in testing, inspection and certification, we have the regulatory knowledge and industry expertise to assess your products and ensure they meet the relevant requirements for sale and distribution in different global markets. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Connectivity and Products
t: +852 60185904
© SGS Société Générale de surveillance SA- 2022 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Société Générale de surveillance SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.