SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile ProductsNO. 031/22
This regulation includes full-size and non-full-size crib mattresses, as well as after-market mattresses for play yards and non-full-size cribs.
The notice of proposed rulemaking (NPR) proposed modifications to the voluntary standard to address the following hazards:
- Suffocation hazards associated with crib mattresses, due to overly soft mattresses
- Entrapment hazards associated with full-size crib mattresses, due to poor mattress fit from compression by sheets
- Entrapment hazards associated with after-market, non-full-size crib mattresses, due to lack of dimensional requirements for rectangular-shaped products
- Laceration hazards associated with coils and springs breaking and poking through mattresses
- The risks of SIDS and suffocation related to infant positioning, soft bedding, and gap entrapment, by improving the labeling and instructional literature requirements to better communicate risks to consumers
The new regulation for crib mattresses, 16 CFR 1241, states that crib mattresses must comply with all applicable provisions of ASTM F2933-21 with the following additions or exclusions.
- Modified definitions for the word “conspicuous”
- Added definition for “sleep surface”
- Modified requirements for:
- Mattress size, section 184.108.40.206
- Non-full-size crib mattress, sections 5.7.2 through 220.127.116.11
- Added requirements for after-market mattresses
- Modified after-market mattresses for play yards, section 5.9 through 18.104.22.168
- Added section 5.10 for mattress firmness testing
- Added section 5.11 for mattresses with coil springs
- Renumbered sections 6.2.2 through 22.214.171.124
- Added section 126.96.36.199 for test mattress sheet
- Added section 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 for measurement of gaps between the mattress and projected crib corner
- Modified requirements for sections 6.2.2, 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168
- Added section 6.3 for mattress firmness
- Added section 6.4 for coil spring test
- Modified following sections for marking and labeling and warning statements:
- Sections 7.1 and 7.2
- Sections 7.3, 7.3.1, 7.3.2 and 7.3.3
- Section 7.4
- Sections 7.5, 7.5.1, 7.5.2, 7.5.3, 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- Sections 7.6, 7.6.1, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 and 7.7
- Added section 7.8 for warnings on retail packaging
- Redesignate section 8 as section 9
- Added section 8 for instruction literature
16 CFR 1130 (Requirements for Consumer Registration of Durable Infant or Toddler products) is also updated to include “crib mattresses” in the list of products subject to the rule.
The rule comes into effect August 15, 2022.
SGS offers a range of consulting, training, product development, testing, auditing and inspection services to help you demonstrate that your products are safe, high quality, and that they comply with the strict regulations that are enforced by markets around the world. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us for more information or visit our website.
For inquiries, please contact:
Technical Director (Hardlines)
SGS North America
t: +(973) 461-7953
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2022 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.