Ukraine has approved measures to prohibit the distribution of certain plastic bags. The prohibition will become effective on March 10, 2022.
On June 9, 2021, Ukraine published Law No. 1489-IX of June 1, 2021 to prohibit the distribution of certain plastic bags in retail and catering services.
According to the definitions in the new law, ‘lightweight plastic bags’, ‘very lightweight plastic bags’ and ‘oxo-degradable plastic bags’ have the following meaning:
- ‘Lightweight plastic bags’ means plastic bags with a wall thickness of 15 to 50 micrometers (microns)
- ‘Very lightweight plastic bags’ means plastic bags with a wall thickness of less than 15 micrometers (microns)
- ‘Oxo-degradable plastic bags’ means plastic bags consisting of polyethylene and oxo-degradable additives
The new law requires the distribution of plastic bags to be carried out exclusively on a paid basis and retail prices for these bags must not be less than the minimum prices set by Ukraine’s Cabinet of Ministers.
Biodegradable plastic bags are determined by harmonized European standards and bags that meet those requirements are to be marked accordingly. The marking applies to each plastic bag and the procedure for marking such plastic bags is approved by the Cabinet of Ministers. It is prohibited to apply the words bio (біо), biopackage (біопакет), biodegradable (біорозкладний) on plastic bags that do not meet those requirements.
There are several important (effective) dates:
- June 10, 2021, for date of entry into force
- December 10, 2021, for provisions in the law, including Ukraine’s Cabinet of Ministers to adopt the necessary regulations for implementation
- March 10, 2022 for the
- Prohibition of ‘very lightweight plastic bags’, ‘lightweight plastic bags’ and ‘oxo-degradable plastic bags’ (see Table 1 below)
- Penalties for violation of the law
Highlights of the new law are summarized in Table 1.
Scope of Plastic Bag
March 10, 2022
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us for more information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
© SGS Group Management SA - 2021 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.