SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile ProductsNO. 067/21
On May 3, 2021, Health Canada issued a notice to interested parties to provide feedback on a proposal to change the Carriages and Strollers Regulations.
The proposal is to update the Carriages and Strollers Regulations with the aim of strengthening health and safety, improving regulatory alignment with Canada’s top trading partners, and addressing identified stakeholder nuisances.
Health Canada is considering the following regulatory changes:
- Replacing the mechanical requirements with one of the following options, incorporated by ambulatory reference into the regulations, i.e. if the referenced documents get updated, the new version becomes effective based on the set transition period without amending the regulations
- compliance to the mechanical requirements from ASTM F833-19
- compliance with at least one of:
- the mechanical requirements from ASTM F833-19, or
- the mechanical requirements from ISO 31110:2020, and in addition, the entrapment requirements from ASTM F833-19 sections 6.8 and 6.10
A sticker, film or other similar material that can be removed, or a surface coating material, that is applied to an accessible part of a carriage or stroller must not contain, when it is tested in accordance with a method that conforms to good laboratory practices,
- more than 90 mg/kg total lead
- any compound of antimony, arsenic, cadmium, selenium or barium if more than 1000 mg/kg of the compound migrates from the material; or
- more than 10 mg/kg total mercury
The deadline for sending comments to Health Canada on this proposal is June 17, 2021.
SGS offers a range of consulting, training, product development, testing, auditing and inspection services to help you demonstrate that your products are safe, high quality, and that they comply with the strict regulations that are enforced by markets around the world. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us for more information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
SGS Consumer and Retail
Technical Manager (Hardlines)
t: +1 (905) 364-3757
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2021 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.