SAFEGUARDS | Consumer ProductsNO. 112/20
On July 21, 2020, the World Trade Organization (WTO) announced a draft regulation from the European Union (EU) on its intention to revise Regulation (EC) 1272/2008 on Classification, Labeling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures (CLP Regulation). The draft legislation, attached to WTO document 20-5008, contains several important changes:
- Adding 22 entries to Table 3 in Part 3 of Annex VI to the CLP Regulation 'List of Harmonized Classification and Labelling of Hazardous Substances’ (‘Table 3’)
- Replacing 41 entries in ‘Table 3’ - some of which delete the specific concentration limit (SCL) information for several boron-containing compounds, including the penta- and deca-hydrates of disodium tetraborate (borax)
- Deleting 1 entry from ‘Table 3’ - tetrakis(2,6-dimethylphenyl)-m-phenylene biphosphate (CAS 139189-30-3)
According to the WTO notification, it is proposed the draft regulation is:
- Adopted in Q4 of 2020
- To enter into force 20 days from publication in the Official Journal of the EU (OJEU)
- To become effective 18 months after the date of entry into force for the new harmonized classification, labeling and packaging provisions (potentially this is mid-2022)
Per the draft regulation, substances and mixtures may be classified, labeled and packaged in accordance with the amendment from its date of entry into force.
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.