SAFEGUARDS | Toys and Juvenile ProductsNO. 064/20
On April 3,2020, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) approved the publication of Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPR) for a safety standard for Crib Bumpers/Liners (16 CFR 1240). The proposed rule is in response to the direction under section 104(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) and based on voluntary standard ASTM F1917-12 (Standard Consumer Safety Performance Specification for Infant Bedding and Related Accessories) with substantial modifications.
The proposed modifications are as follows:
- Add a “crib bumper/liner” definition
- Revise the crib bumper thickness requirement to apply to all crib bumpers and liners, and revise the test method by adding a minimum rate at which the bumper must pass through the test fixture and a surface finish requirement of 1.6 Ra for the text fixture
- Add a crib bumper firmness requirement and test method
- Add a crib bumper airflow requirement and test method
- Replace the existing requirement for crib bumpers to be capable of being secured at certain locations with a new crib bumper attachment requirement and test method
- Revise the strength requirement for crib bumper ties to apply to all attachment means and add new strength requirements and test methods for decorative components and seams
- Revise the crib bumper warning content, format, and placement requirements; add warning permanence requirements and test methods; and add a requirement for additional crib bumper markings
- Add crib bumper instructional literature requirements
The NPR defines crib bumper/liner as “any product intended to be placed against any portion of the interior perimeter of a crib, and that reduces or eliminates an infant's access to the crib sides, slats, spindles, or the spaces between these components”.
The commission invites interested parties to submit their comments by June 17, 2020.
Copy of the standard can be purchased at https://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/HISTORICAL/F1917-12.htm
Notice of Proposed Rule 16 CFR 1240: [https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/03/2020-06142/safety-standard-for-crib-bumpersliners]
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.