SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile ProductsNO. 020/20
In January 2020, Georgia published Resolution No. 47 of January 20, 2020 on ‘Approving the Technical Regulation on Toy Safety (the Resolution). The Technical Regulation, attached to the Resolution, is based on Directive 2009/48/EC (consolidated to November 18, 2019), the so-called Toy Safety Directive (TSD) in the European Union (EU).
The provisions in the Technical Regulation include, inter alia, the following:
- Definition for toys – products designed or intended, whether exclusively, for use in play by children under 14 years of age
- Products that are not considered as toys (Article 1.3 and Annex I)
- Obligations for economic operators (manufacturers, authorized representatives, importers and distributors), including considerations where obligations for manufacturers are applied to importers and distributors
- Toys to comply with essential safety requirements – general safety, and particular safety in Annex II (physical and mechanical properties, flammability, chemical properties, electrical properties, hygiene and radioactivity)
- Declaration of conformity (DoC, Annex III) and technical documentation (Annex IV) – both are to be kept for 10 years after the toy has been placed on the market
- Warning instructions (Annex V)
- Restricting a specific list of chemicals in toys for children under 36 months and toys intended to be placed in the mouth (Annex VI)
The Technical Regulation will become effective on January 1, 2021.
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that your products comply with the EU Toy Safety Directive. We offer training, safety/risk assessment, technical documentation check, labelling review, testing according to harmonized standards, SVHC screening, inspections and audits. With the largest global network of toy experts and testing facilities around the world - around 20 toy labs worldwide including 3 EU Notified Bodies (France, Germany and Netherlands), SGS is the partner to trust. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.