SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile ProductsNO. 018/20
As part of its import control on providing safe and quality goods to consumers using the Risk-Based Control System on Foreign Trade (TAREKS), the Turkish Ministry of Trade published Communiqué on Import Control of Toys (Product Safety and Inspection: 2020/10) (the Communiqué) of December 27, 2019 under Number 30991 (Repeat) to establish a list of toys for compliance.
The Communiqué contains, inter alia, several important provisions:
- Establishing a list of toys under specific HS codes that are subject to inspection (Annex 1). Examples of toys include:
- Bicycles and tricycles (those with a height of less than 435 mm)
- Construction sets
- Die-cast miniature models
- Dolls and doll carriages
- Electric car racing sets
- Electric trains, including tracks, signals and other accessories thereof
- Musical instruments
- Paint sets
- Roller skates
- Toy animals and non-human creatures
- Toy guns
- Informing that toys are obliged to comply with the Toy Safety Regulation (Oyuncak Güvenliği Yönetmeliği, OGY) (SafeGuardS 4/20) and (applicable) restricted chemicals requirements under Annex XVII of Kimyasalların Kaydı, Değerlendirilmesi, İzni Ve Kısıtlanması Hakkında Yönetmelik (KKDIK) – the latter is Turkey’s EU REACH-like Regulation on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals published under Number30105 (Repeat) dated June 23, 2017 (SafeGuardS 102/17), and amended by the inclusion of hydrogen cyanide and related chemicals as entry 67 (TC Resmi Gazete of November 29, 2019, Number 30963)
- Documentation to be uploaded to TAREKS for inspection (Annex 2)
This Communiqué became effective on January 1, 2020 and repealed the Communiqué on Import Control of Toys (Product Safety and Inspection: 2019/10) published under Number 30641 (Repeat) dated December 30, 2018.
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that your products comply with the EU Toy Safety Directive. We offer training, safety/risk assessment, technical documentation check, labelling review, testing according to harmonized standards, SVHC screening, inspections and audits. With the largest global network of toy experts and testing facilities around the world - around 20 toy labs worldwide including 3 EU Notified Bodies (France, Germany and Netherlands), SGS is the partner to trust. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or visit our website.
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.