Algeria Regulates Childcare Articles
SAFEGUARDS | Consumer Products NO. 085/17
Algeria has published technical regulations mandating certain specifications for childcare articles entering its market. The new law will become effective on May 27, 2017.
In November 2016, Algeria published Interministerial Order of July 11, 2016 (Arrêté interministériel du 6 Chaoual 1437 ) to adopt technical regulations for childcare articles. According to the new legislation, a ‘childcare article’ is defined as any product intended to ensure or facilitate sitting, general body care, sleeping, transportation, movement, physical protection and the feeding or sucking of children under the age of four.
The following products are not within the scope of childcare articles:
- Hygiene accessories
- Restraining devices for child occupants of power-driven vehicles
This new law contains a number of important provisions, including:
- Meeting physical, mechanical, flammability and chemical properties. In particular, childcare articles such as baby bottles, pacifiers, teats and teethers must not contain bisphenol A (BPA)
- Requiring the words ‘Conforme aux exigences de sécurité’ (complies with safety requirements) to be affixed on the product or its packaging. This is in addition to existing labeling laws
- Accompanying instruction manuals stating assembly instructions and where applicable, the method, conditions and precautions for use. This is in Arabic, and one or more ancillary languages
- Certificate of Conformity (CoC) attesting that the product complies with the requirements in the technical regulations
The new law will become effective on May 27, 2017.
Highlights of certain chemical requirements in this new law are summarized in Table 1.
|Interministerial Order of July 11, 2016 (Arrêté interministériel du 6 Chaoual 1437)
|Soluble elements||Childcare articles for children under the age of 4||Conform||
|Bisphenol A (BPA)||Prohibited|
|BBP, DBP and DEHP||≤ 0.1% each for plasticized,materials|
|DIDP, DINP and DNOP||≤ 0.1% each for plasticized,materials that can be placed in the mouth|
SGS has dedicated experts and services to assist you in the development of juvenile products and childcare articles. SGS offers physical/mechanical tests, chemical tests, packaging evaluation, inspections to ensure the compliance of your products in target markets. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Hardlines Information and Innovation Manager
t: +852 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
© SGS Group Management SA - 2017 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.