This expansion in capabilities makes us the only NRTL accredited to test and certify against the following bi-national (American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Standards Council of Canada (SCC)) standards:
- ANSI/CAN/UL 2272 – Standard for Safety, Electrical Systems for Personal E-Mobility Devices
- ANSI/CAN/UL 2849 – Standard for Safety, Electrical Systems for eBikes
Launched in 2016, UL 2272 can be used for a variety of motor driven personal mobility devices, including self-balancing scooters, electric powered scooters, e-skateboards and eBikes without functioning pedals. It covers the rechargeable battery systems – lithium-ion battery, lead acid battery or super capacitor.
UL 2849 was launched in early 2020. It covers two and three-wheel eBikes with functional pedals, including both electrically power assisted cycles (EPAC) and non-EPAC types that use lithium-ion batteries. These devices typically have a top speed of no greater than 45km/h.
John Ciliege, Global Head of NRTL, SGS said, "The speed of development of lithium-ion battery and motor technology has led to a huge boost in popularity for electric powered scooters and eBikes. A lack of valid standards initially resulted in frequent fire accidents. We therefore welcome OSHA's decision to adopted UL 2272 and UL 2849 as mandatory standards for products destined for US markets. SGS is proud to lead the way as the only NRTL currently accredited to test and certify against these standards."
We provide eBike and e-mobility device manufacturers with a one-stop-shop solution for testing and certification. Additional solutions include:
- Restricted substance testing
- Compliance testing against 16 CFR 1512, California Prop 65 and other state and international regulations
- Battery cell evaluations
- Mechanical performance testing – including pedal brake linearity, brake performance, wheel retention, crank assembly fatigue, durability testing (saddle, fork, handlebar, chain, etc.)
- Advanced field consultancy to support design, preproduction, production and after sales
The market for e-mobility devices is growing fast. As the world's only NRTL accredited to test and certify against UL 2272 and UL 2849, we are your first choice for comprehensive eMobility and eBike testing and certification.
For further information, please contact:
Manager, Business Development and Sales
SGS Connectivity & Products
620 Old Peachtree Rd. NW
Suwanee, GA 30024
t: +1 210-577-4535
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.