SGS’s food contact materials (FCM) laboratory in Istanbul, Turkey, now offers specific migration testing for primary aromatic amines (PAA) on food contact plastics, a mandatory requirement for all food contact plastic products destined for European Union (EU) markets.
On September 3, 2020, the EU published Regulation EU 2020/1245, which amends Regulation (EU) 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food. It came into force on September 23, 2020, and includes, inter-alia, provisions to increase the number of PAA which must not migrate into food and alterations in their relevant limits. Read SafeGuard 134/20 for more information.
Compliance to FCM regulations can be complicated. The addition of specific migration of PAA testing further enhances our ability to provide professional regulatory assistance to manufacturers and suppliers of FCM destined for global markets – a one-stop solution for all your testing requirements.
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Size: 6,000 m2
Employees: 550 across seven laboratories
Serving domestic and international clients, we test the full range of FCM, including:
- Paper and paperboard
We are committed to support our customers develop safe, high quality consumers products for today’s competitive markets.
Our wide range of testing solutions for FCM cover:
- Overall migration of total non-volatile substance in plastic materials
- Specific migration of PAA, heavy metals, BPA, formaldehyde, melamine, phthalates, acetaldehyde, PAH, isophthalic acid and terephthalic acid
- Specific migration of 21 heavy metals in metal articles
- Extractables from silicone rubber for LFGB compliance
- Volatile organic matter
- Visible color migration
- Leachable lead and cadmium
- Chloroform soluble extractive in paper and paperboard
- Sensory test
- Total extractives from water and n-hexane for rubber articles
- Peroxide residue
- Specific gravity, melting point, solubility in boiling HCL and extractable fractions, etc.
Whatever your target market, our customizable testing solutions will help you ensure compliance. After all, it’s only trusted because it’s tested.
In addition to FCM, our Istanbul facility also has laboratories dedicated to:
- Textiles, leather goods and accessories
- Toys and stationery
- Electrical and electronic (EE) equipment
- Gas burning appliances
Learn more about SGS’s full range of Food Contact Material solutions.
Yeşim Demir Katipoğlu
Strategical Accounts and Technical Projects Team Leader
Connectivity & Products
t: +90 212 368 40 00 Ext: 4205