SGS's office located in Suwanee, Georgia, USA, was awarded the accreditation by ANAB, ANSI's accreditation body in North America, on October 1, 2021. The award sees SGS delivering food equipment sanitation testing and certification services for the first time, expanding its electrical and electronic (E&E) portfolio to support the commercial food industry in delivering high quality, safe and compliant products to North American markets.
The installation of food service equipment in United States demands compliance with national sanitation requirements (NSF). As an ANSI-accredited certification body, SGS can now certify food equipment as specified in the FDA Food Code in accordance with twelve NSF/ANSI standards:
- NSF/ANSI 2 Food Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 3 Commercial Warewashing Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 4 Commercial Cooking, Rethermalization and Powered Hot Food Holding and Transport Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 5 Water Heaters, Hot Water Supply Boilers and Heat Recovery Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 6 Dispensing Freezers
- NSF/ANSI 7 Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers
- NSF/ANSI 8 Commercial Powered Food Preparation Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 12 Automatic Ice Making Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 13 Refuse Processors and Processing Systems
- NSF/ANSI 18 Manual Food and Beverage Dispensing Equipment
- NSF/ANSI 25 Vending Machines for Food and Beverages
- NSF/ANSI 51 Food Equipment Materials
Testing and certification will be carried out at SGS locations in Guangzhou and Shanghai, China. The expanded service into food sanitation will be welcomed by commercial electrical food equipment industries looking to SGS to provide a one stop shop to meet all their regulatory requirements for food safety, electrical safety, energy efficiency and sustainability.
John Ciliege, Global Head of NRTL, SGS, said: "We are delighted to receive this accreditation which we know will be welcomed by manufacturers and retailers around the world looking to demonstrate that their products are safe to use in restaurant and commercial kitchen settings, and comply with US food safety regulations.
"SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity, and this accreditation ensures we are even better placed to help those organizations within the commercial food and equipment sector trade with confidence in the global marketplace."
SGS can offer a total solution for commercial appliances with the SGS NRTL Mark and the SGS Sanitation Mark for Safety. Once tested compliant, SGS will issue its proprietary SGS Sanitation Mark to demonstrate that a product conforms to a range of compliance measures and can be sold in the United States.
For further information contact:
Senior Technical Manager, Electrical and Electronic Consumer
Connectivity & Products, SGS
t: +86 (0) 20 3213 6424
We are SGS – the world's leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 93,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.