The new laboratory, built in accordance with modern industry standards and to SGS's highest standards regarding quality and worker and environmental safety, is the company's largest facility in the Caspian region.
Through the new laboratory, SGS is providing testing services for Kazakhmys Corporation's Balkhash area copper mines and concentrator plant and the Balkhash Copper Smelter and Precious Metal Refinery, as well as analyzing regional and mine exploration samples for Kazakhmys Barlau LLP. The Balkhash laboratory provides valuation analysis for Kazakhmys Corporation's global secondary copper concentrate and precious metal feed material buying programs as well as for the quality confirmation of all outgoing products for sale from the copper smelter and the precious metal refinery. The project demonstrates an impressive example of cooperation between SGS and Kazakhmys, the largest copper and precious metals producer in Kazakhstan.
Capable of high volume sample processing and analysis, the laboratory has been designed to provide geochemical analytical services to the complete range of exploration, mining and metal production clients active in the region.
- Sample preparation for core, rock chips, soils, and other mining related samples
- Sample preparation for base metal and precious metal concentrates
- Fire assay for precious metals
- Aqua regia, strong acid and peroxide fusion ICPOES and ICPMS multielement analyses
- Carbon and sulfur speciation by induction furnace burn/IR detection
- Wet and classical chemistry for high grade base metal and precious metals samples
- Quality confirmation of refined copper, copper by-products, and copper cathodes
- Quality confirmation of selenium, tellurium and sulfuric acid products
- Quality confirmation of refined precious metal bars, ingots, sponges and other products
To ensure SGS's stringent quality assurance and control measures are met and to adhere to transparency of the analysis, all laboratory processes are linked and controlled by SGS's industry leading laboratory information management system, SLIMS.
"This new laboratory demonstrates SGS's commitment to the Caspian region and to providing world class analytical services throughout the region," said Alexander Likhopud, Business Manager – Minerals. "As the region continues to develop world class mining projects, SGS is well positioned to provide industry leading analytical and project optimization services across the minerals value chain."
For further information, please contact:
Business Manager, Minerals, Caspian sub-region
SGS Kazakhstan Ltd
t: +7 (917) 561 90 96
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.