Capable of processing 50,000 to 60,000 samples per month, it is replacing the current facility to significantly increase sample processing capacity, from sample preparation to final analysis. This will enable us to run sample preparation of both grade control and exploration samples, so we can meet the stringent turnaround times that our clients require.
The new laboratory, which is ISO/IEC 17025 accredited, is committed to ensuring efficient turnaround times without compromising on quality. It provides:
- Atomic absorption spectrometry (AAS)
- Microwave plasma emission spectrophotometry (MP-AES)
- Portable X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy (pXRF)
The laboratory is equipped with a PAL1000 with a processing capacity of 1,000 samples in 24 hours, which enables us to deliver speedy turnaround times for samples requiring analysis by bottle roll.
The new laboratory has an optimum capacity of 75,000 samples for fire assay, including 25,000 pulp samples. Its bottle roll cyanidation capacity is around 30,000 samples per month, with the addition of 1,000 samples per day using the PAL1000.
During the COVID-19 health crisis, the laboratory is adhering to strict social distancing protocols, which include:
- One-to-one meetings held in the boardroom, rather than in private offices
- Group meetings held in open spaces in canteens
- Fewer employees at each training session or meeting
- Space blocks in the canteen to ensure social distancing during meetings and during lunch
- Additional bus pickups so that members of staff can remain separate from each other
"This new lab further demonstrates SGS's commitment to providing world-class analytical services to our clients on the African continent," said Kiki Gyan, Managing Director, Ghana. "As the leading service provider to the mining sector in Africa, we deliver quality and trusted data, while meeting the required turnaround times of our clients. This new laboratory provides us with the continued opportunity to exceed our clients' expectations of superior service."
For further information, please contact:
Minerals Manager – Geochemistry
SGS Ghana Limited
m: +233 (0) 24 432 3405
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.