SGS Becomes One of 100 Companies to Commit to Science Based Targets for Greenhouse Gas Emissions
SGS has joined the Science-Based Targets initiative, committing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions based on targets determined by climate science. We are one of 100 companies taking part in the initiative, and the first professional services company in Switzerland to do so.
We have committed to:
- Reducing Scope 1, Scope 2 and business travel (Scope 3) emissions per unit of revenue 45% by 2025 and 55% by 2030, from a 2014 base year
- Reducing other Scope 3 emissions per unit of revenue 50% by 2030, from a 2014 base year. This target covers purchased goods and services, capital goods, fuel and energy-related activities, waste generated in operations and employee commuting
What Are Science-Based Targets?
Science-based targets are targets for private companies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in line with the level of decarbonization required to keep the global temperature increase below two degrees Celsius, compared with pre-industrial temperatures. This is in line with the goal of the Paris Agreement, in which governments around the world also committed to keep the temperature increase below two degrees. Together, the combined efforts of the private and public sectors are designed to prevent the worst effects of climate change.
The Science-Based Targets initiative champions science-based target setting as a means of increasing companies' competitive advantage during the transition to a low carbon economy. It is a collaboration between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). The initiative helps companies to develop pathways for reducing their emissions in line with the goals of the Paris Agreement.
Why Are We Setting Them?
Setting science-based targets will enable us to:
- Increase innovation though the development of new technologies and operational practices
- Improve our profitability and competitiveness
- Reduce regulatory uncertainty
- Have a greater influence on policy makers and the development of legislation
- Strengthen our reputation and credibility among customers, employees, investors, policy makers and environmental groups
Through science-based targets, we are moving closer toward our goal of achieving a more sustainable future while adding value for our customers and maintaining long term profitability.
Alberto Carrillo Pineda, Director, Science-Based Targets and Renewable Energy at CDP, one of the Science Based Targets initiative partners, commented, "Congratulations to SGS for setting a science-based target, as one of the companies to help the Science Based Targets initiative meet its milestone of 100 companies with approved targets. Being the first professional services company in Switzerland to do so, they are acting as a leader in the transition to the new low carbon economy."
To see a world map of companies with approved science-based targets, please visit Science Based Targets.
For further information, please contact:
Ramón Gómez de Salazar Delso
Corporate Sustainability Communications Manager
t: +34 646 434 058
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.