SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile Products NO. 155/17
European National Standard organizations bound to CEN/CENELEC rules have six months – until January 2018, to publish this new standard. Conflicting national standards shall be withdrawn at the latest by July 2018.
This European standard covers children’s high chairs for domestic and non-domestic use, exempting special high chairs for medical purposes.
Changes introduced in the revision of the standard aim improving the safety of high chairs, taking into account the hazards listed in the Decision 2013/121/EU .
- Seam strength tests have been introduced to ensure that seams/weldings are strong enough to prevent suffocation hazards due to accessibility to the filling material.
- Requirements on the locking systems intended to adjust the seat height are now applicable, to avoid sudden release and drop of the seat.
- Cords and loops are limited in length as they may present strangulation hazards.
- A dynamic strength test has been added to ensure product integrity during use.
- Specific requirements have been included for high chairs fitted with more than two castors/wheels.
- The restraint system requirements have been improved to require a passive crotch restraint for products with a horizontal component in front of the baby.
- The required product information has been reworded and completed to highlight essential warnings and safety information and to improve the legibility for consumers. An Informative annex has been introduced, providing the translation of warning sentences into 24 European languages.
The EU standard for high chairs EN14988:2017 can be used as a voluntary standard to show compliance to the General Product Safety Directive. Please note that for EU Member State countries where national legislation exists (like in the UK and France) the national legislation should be followed.
SGS has dedicated experts and services to assist you in the development of juvenile products and childcare articles. SGS offers physical/mechanical tests, chemical tests, packaging evaluation, inspections to ensure the compliance of your products in target markets.
For enquiries, please contact:
International Expert - Juvenile Products
t: +33 6 28 50 25 88
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
© SGS Group Management SA - 2017 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.