Toys imported to China are subject to mandatory requirements, either under the CCC certification program, or national (GB) standards and technical specifications.
What Is the CCC Certification Process?
- Application for certification and supporting materials submitted
- For CCC toys – a CNCA Designated Test Laboratory (DTL) will test product samples – declaration of conformity
- Evaluation of certification documents, and approval/rejection of certification
- Follow-up inspection – successful applications will be subject to six-monthly follow-up inspections
Which Toys Require CCC Certification?
Toys requiring CCC certification fall into four categories:
- Electric toys – at least one function of the toy relies on electric power, for example, battery operated toys, video toys, toys with sound and light, toys containing a heat source, and experimental toys
- Plastic toys – non-electric toys the main part of which is made of plastic. This includes toys with or without a drive mechanism, dolls, projectile toys and playmats, but excludes inflatable toys, mouth actuated toys, teethers and aquatic toys
- Metal toys – non-electric toys the main part of which is made of metal. This includes toys with or without a drive mechanism and projectile toys
- Ride-on toys – toy bicycles, electrically driven ride-on toys (DC) and other toys intended to bear the mass of and be propelled by a child, such as free-wheeling ride-on toys, balance bikes and wiggle cars
Toys in these categories must also comply with relevant national standards and technical specifications.
Other toys do not require CCC certification but can be randomly inspected by SAMR to verify their compliance to national standards and technical specifications.
At SGS our experts, and global network of toy testing laboratories, can help you to prepare and to bring safe and compliant toys to the Chinese market. Consultation and preparation services include:
- Product reviews
- Labeling reviews
- Pre-testing – to verify compliance
- CCC testing
- Testing of toys outside the scope of CCC certification
Why Choose SGS Toy Services?
Our expertise can smooth your path to market. With a global network of state-of-the-art toy testing laboratories and a CCC accredited laboratory in Hong Kong, China, we can help to ensure that your toys qualify and you can request the required certification marks.
Contact SGS to find out what safety requirements apply to your toys for China and how we can help.