The battery is the key component of the electric vehicle. As demand for electric cars and vehicles increases, manufacturers need to be confident the high-voltage batteries they use meet international standards for safety, reliability, endurance, and performance.
SGS is a recognized partner to the automotive and battery industry and offers a range of testing services for the inspection of cells, modules and entire battery systems, from 48 V-mild hybrid batteries to those weighing more than 1,000 kg that power full electric cars.
We are involved in various research projects involving lithium batteries as well as the battery standardization committees DKE, VDA and IEC.
Which lithium battery tests are available?
All batteries must pass the UN 38.3 transport test, which is carried out in line with our DIN/EN/ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation. We also offer:
- Life cycle/performance testing
- Safety or misuse tests
- Simulation of environmental conditions
- EMC testing
- Transport tests
Detailed specifications can also be tested, including:
- Battery test benches for cells, modules and packs
- Impedance, energy efficiency, state of charge (SoC), driving cycles
- Calendar/cyclic ageing (electrical, thermal, combined)
- Temperature, humidity and condensation tests
- Vibration, shock (300 kN Shaker) including electrical operation and temperature cycling
- Salt fog, corrosive gas, dipping
- IP tests, spray tests, water-splash tests, dust tests
- Altitude tests
- EMC laboratory for EV and HV batteries
- Safety/misuse tests in test bunkers
- Nail penetration, crushing (crush)
- Simulation of internal short circuits
- Drop tests
- Intrusion with pendulum
- Overcharge, over-discharge
- Thermal stability
- Thermal propagation tests
- Fuel fire
- External short circuit
- High-voltage safety, insulation testing
All battery tests are conducted in accordance with international standards and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) specifications including ISO, IEC, UN ECE, SAE, LV, AK and many more. We can also perform bespoke tests to customer requirements if required.
Meeting the challenge of electromobility
Electromobility is undergoing rapid technological change. As well as being actively involved with standardization bodies, we offer full consultancy and testing services, helping manufacturers create efficient, economically viable electric vehicles and cars.
Why choose SGS for your lithium battery testing?
With ISO/IEC 17025 laboratory accreditation, lithium battery expertise and over 30 years’ experience of the requirements and test methods of vehicle manufacturers, we can meet all your battery testing needs.