Introducing SGS’s Agriculture and Food Testing Laboratory in Brookings, South Dakota
Moving to a new purpose-built site in March 2017, SGS’s state-of-the-art laboratory in Brookings, South Dakota, brings together three laboratories under one roof.
The site offers a comprehensive range of food and agricultural testing services.
|Employees:||100 full-time, 30 part-time|
|Laboratories:||3 (Seed Testing, Analytical Chemistry, Research/GLP)|
|Laboratory space:||68,000 sq. ft.|
|Location:||Brookings, South Dakota, USA|
Brookings offers a broad spectrum of food and agricultural testing services, including:
- Chemical and physical testing for:
- Contaminants – pesticide residues, heavy metals, melamine, mycotoxins, allergens, GMO, etc.
- Nutritional analysis – full Nutrition Facts Table to meet US FDA/USDA, vitamins, minerals/metals, amino acids, proximates, total sugars, fatty acid profile, etc.
- DNA testing:
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
This laboratory also offers Regulatory Compliance Services such as label validation, Prop 65 assessment, US Market Assessment, GRAS review and Product Protocol creation for food, pet food and dietary supplements.
Accredited to the ISO 17025 standard since 2009, this laboratory is also EPA-approved for GLP (Good Laboratory Practices), ISO 9001 certified, and ISTA (International Seed Testing Association) accredited.
This facility is staffed and equipped to deliver tests across a broad range of food categories, including:
- Grains & cereals
- Meat & poultry
- Fruits & vegetables
- Herbs & spices
- Tea & coffee
- Processed, canned & frozen foods
- Oils & fats
- Bottle water
- Confectionaries & chocolate
- Pet food
The site also offers testing for over 400 species of seeds, soil and plant tissue.
Experience and Expertise
Begun as a seed testing laboratory in 1993, SGS has more than 24 years’ experience of providing food and agricultural testing services in Brookings. Amalgamating the three laboratories into one purpose-built facility in 2017 has allowed the site to develop its ISO 17025 scope to include additional food testing and establish the only SGS laboratory in North America offering NGS testing.
The new site is 30% larger than the previous three sites combined and is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including:
- Sciex 6500+ QQQ (Triple Quad) Mass Spectrometer with Shimadzu Nexera XR HPLC (High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph) for extremely low-level detection
- Additional HPLC/MSMS (High performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry)
- GC/MS (Gas Chromatography – Mass Spectrometer)
- ICP/MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma – Mass Spectrometer)
- PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)
- Thermo Fisher 5S Next Generation Sequencer and Ion Chef
From its central position in the US, Brookings offers accurate and effective food and agricultural testing and analysis services, with fast turnaround times and competitive pricing.
For further information, contact SGS in Brookings:
t: +1 605 696 5512