Mining High Definition Mineralogy
High Definition Mineralogy is the expert quantitative study of minerals using automated techniques.
SGS is the world leader in providing comprehensive automated High Definition Mineralogy to the global minerals industry and other market sectors that need detailed material, product or residue characterizations.
Key advantages to a partnership with SGS include:
- A broad depth and breadth of expertise with many commodities
- A comprehensive suite of state-of-the-art equipment including QEMSCAN®, TIMA-X, X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscope (SEM) and electronic microprobe
- A wide range of advanced mineralogy technologies to help you with either a solution or data that is “fit-for-purpose”
No matter what your industry or application, SGS has the applied mineralogy experience and equipment to add value to your project. Our proven solutions include:
- Exploration sample processing
- Identification and chemistry
- Particle mapping
- Process mineralogy
- Environmental mineralogy
- Coal petrography
High Definition Mineralogy data can be quantitatively compared to similar data from different tests. The interpretation and use of such data can also add significant value to many applications. SGS has the technical expertise and experience required to:
- Design an effective High Definition Mineralogy program
- Efficiently operate the instruments to yield data that is fit for purpose
- Interpret the large amounts of data created
- Apply the conclusions to your project to assist you as you formulate the next steps you require
SGS experts use statistically robust High Definition Mineralogy to rapidly and objectively determine parameters such as:
- Mineral abundance
- Grain size
With over 50 years of mineralogy experience, SGS adds value to your project by using High Definition Mineralogy as a proven tool for:
- Mineral balances. High Definition Mineralogy truly balance the minerals in a sample or process, in the same ways that assay data are used to balance the elements in a sample or process. Thus High Definition Mineralogy is therefore the only quantitative way to truly assess mineralogically how a process is working
- Benchmarking. Samples can be benchmarked using High Definition Mineralogy, and can be correlated with known parameters from previously tested samples
- Prediction. Where such correlations exist, High Definition Mineralogy can be used to predict various aspects of processing on a new sample so helping to focus future testing
Technologies such as QEMSCAN, TIMA-X, electron microprobe, image analysis and quantitative XRD are mere tools. High Definition Mineralogy is the product. SGS’s world-class team of mineralogical experts ensures a quality product and provides a significant interpretive value addition to the High Definition Mineralogy product at every stage of your project. SGS will use High Definition Mineralogy to provide significant input into strategic decisions, giving you the competitive advantage you need.
Introducing TIMA-X for Automated Mineralogy
The SGS TIMA-X automated mineralogy system provides a novel approach to quantitative sample analysis. Find out more about improved analysis of ores and concentrates.