Food Contact Tests
How do you know if the food bag you wrap your sandwiches in is safe? Food contact materials testing is used worldwide to make sure that food is not contaminated by the products it comes into contact with.
At SGS we carry out food packaging testing and contact materials testing to ensure that your products comply with the appropriate regulations for food contact materials.
All materials that come into contact with food, from manufacturers’ packaging to crockery and cutlery, glassware, ceramics and storage containers should be tested to ensure they are safe for food contact. They must not transfer their constituents into the foodstuff in unacceptable quantities. Food contact testing protects the health of consumers.
Our food contact materials testing is available worldwide. Our laboratories perform testing against the contact regulations for regions including the EU, USA, Japan and China. Food grade packaging and contact materials are regulated by:
- In the EU, for:
- All materials – Framework Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004
- Ceramics –Directive 84/500/EEC as amended by Directive 2005/31/EC
- Regenerated cellulose film –Directive 2007/42/EC
- Plastics – Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 and No 64/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food
- Nitrosamines – Directive 93/11/EEC
- BADGE, BFDGE & NOGE plastics – Commission Regulation (EC) 1895/2005
- In the United States of America:
- US legislation for food contact materials is governed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Ceramic and glass materials in California are impacted by California Proposition 65
- In China, materials must meet the requirements of the Food Safety Law of the People’s Republic of China
- In Japan, materials must meet the Food Sanitation Law part II
Within the EU we perform food contact testing for the separate member states in EU such as Germany, France and Italy.
We offer expertise in analytical testing and consultancy services for plastic and non-plastic materials intended to come into contact with foodstuffs.
Contact SGS for expert food contact testing advice and a truly global service utilizing the most up to date testing equipment and facilities. Email us
FSMA White Paper
Understanding the US Food Safety Modernization Act
White Paper on POPs
White Paper on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
Proliferation, Regulation and Mitigation of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in Consumer Products and Supply Chains
All 13 resources