Food Label Reviews and Nutritional Analysis
SGS’s food label review and nutritional analysis service ensures that your food products comply with national and international regulations for nutritional labeling and content.
Our laboratories are ISO 17025 and ISO 9001:2008 accredited (for all nutrition labeling tests, and our quality management system, respectively) and staffed by food nutrition analysis and labeling specialists. And as part of our commitment to quality control, we use our Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track all of the samples we use from login through to reporting and invoicing.
We conduct nutritional tests, food label reviews and nutritional labeling assessments in order to consider product claims and ensure compliance. We also make methodology recommendations to ensure that any food nutrition analysis performed on your behalf complies with the intended destination market(s).
Many of the world’s suppliers, importers, exporters and retailers rely upon us to stay in touch with the ever-changing regulatory landscape – both locally and internationally – and to conduct food label reviews and nutritional analysis.
Food label reviews
To reduce your risk of non-compliance, we can review your labels against the following criteria:
- Allergen compliance
- Descriptive claims
- Identity statement
- Ingredient labeling
- Label layout
- Net quantity of content statement
- Nutrition analysis
- Nutrition facts panel
- Place and name of business
Our nutritional tests include the following:
- Proximate analysis – moisture, fat, protein, ash, carbohydrates, proteins (regular, nitrogen, amino acid profile)
- Fats – saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, trans, fatty acid profile
- Carbohydrates – acid detergent fiber (ADF), neutral detergent fiber (NDF), beta glucan, crude fiber, total dietary fiber (TDF), starch, polysaccharides
- Food additives – benzoic acid, sorbic acid, butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), ethoxyquin, sulfites
- Vitamins – A, C, D, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B12, folic acid, beta carotene
- Minerals – heavy metals [arsenic (As), cadmium (Cd), mercury (Hg), lead (Pb)], calcium (Ca), copper (Cu), phosphorous (P), magnesium (Mg), zinc (Zn), iron (Fe), sodium (Na), potassium (K), strontium (Sr), nickel (Ni), manganese (Mn), cobalt (Co), cadmium (Cd)
Contact SGS now to find out how our food label reviews and analyses of nutritional content assure your compliance with local and global regulations. Email us
Food TestingServicesSGS Food Testing Services VideoLearn how our global network of food testing laboratories can help protect your brand and reputation. ... Supply Chain White Paper
Supply Chain Management White Paper
The document provides insights on the risks and challenges facing the industry’s supply chains, their causes & potential impacts.
FSMA White Paper
Understanding the US Food Safety Modernization Act
Food Pesticides White Paper
Food Pesticides White Paper
Understanding, Monitoring and Meeting the Differing Global Maximum Residue Limits (MRLS) For Pesticides in Food and Feed Products
White Paper on POPs
White Paper on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
Proliferation, Regulation and Mitigation of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in Consumer Products and Supply Chains
All 12 resources