Japan has launched a one-month consultation on its draft measure to regulate PFHxS, its salts and PFHxS-related compounds. Comments are accepted until March 19, 2023.
On February 18, 2023, Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (WHLW), Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Ministry of the Environment launched a one-month consultation on their proposal to regulate perfluorohexane sulfonic acid (PFHxS), its salts and PFHxS-related compounds under the nation’s ‘Act on the Evaluation of Chemical Substances and Regulation of Their Manufacture Etc.’ (also known as the Chemical Substances control Law (CSCL)).
The draft measure contains, inter alia, several important provisions, including:
- Prohibits the manufacture or import of PFHxS and its salts from the spring of 2024 by designating these substances as Class 1 Specified Chemical Substances
- Prohibits the import of 10 specified products that use PFHxS, its salts or PFHxS-related compounds:
- Fire extinguishers, fire extinguishing agents for fire extinguishers and foams
- Etching agents used in metal processing
- Surface treatment agents for plating or their mixture additives
- Treated fabrics with water or oil repellent properties
- Treated clothing with water or oil repellent properties
- Treated floor coverings with water or oil repellent properties
- Water and oil repellents and fiber protection agents
- Anti-reflective agents used in the manufacture of semiconductors
- Etching agents used in the manufacture of semiconductors
- Resists for semiconductors
- Establishes technical standards for handling firefighting foams
- Prohibits the use of PFHxS, its salts or PFHxS-related compounds without establishing essential uses
According to the announcement, comments will be accepted until March 19, 2023
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Contact us for more information or visit our website. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested.
© SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. This publication or website is a property of SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. All contents including website designs, text, and graphics contained herein are owned by or licensed to SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA. The information provided is for technical and general information purposes only and offers no legal advice. The information is no substitute for professional legal advice to ensure compliance with the applicable laws and regulations. All information is provided in good faith “as is”, and SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA makes no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, and does not warrant that the information will be error-free or meet any particular criteria of performance or quality.