As the shift towards highly automated and autonomous vehicles continues manufacturers of vehicles, or vehicle parts, must rise to the challenge of worldwide type approvals
Looking for something specific?
Search within Homologation in Autonomous Driving
As a designated Technical Service, we can assist you in obtaining approvals for components, systems and/or vehicles on the basis of EU and UN regulations or, where applicable, national road traffic regulations (e.g. Germany’s StVZO). In addition, we advise you how to interpret and apply legal specifications. Together with you, we also plan the scope of the tests required and execute them at your request. In addition, you can rely on our assistance in the preparation of the required documentation.
New Regulations for Highly Automated and Autonomous Driving
As the shift towards highly automated and autonomous vehicles continues, new regulations relating to cybersecurity management, software update management and automated lane keeping systems have been introduced. The new regulations are:
- Cybersecurity Management Systems (CSMS, UN regulation 155)
- Software Update Management System (SUMS, UN regulation 156)
- Automated Lane Keeping Systems (ALKS, UN regulation 157)
What all three regulations also have in common is that for the first time they refer directly to safety standards, specifically, in this context:
- ISO 26262 for Functional Safety
- ISO/PAS 21448 for Safety of the Intended Functionality (SOTIF)
- ISO/SAE 21434 for Cyber-security of Road Vehicles
Consultation and Support
We support you throughout the entire approval process: from the application to receipt of the approval certificates. Our homologation services include:
- Determination of the technical and legal requirements of the respective target markets
- Determination of the required scope of testing and approval
- Planning and efficient execution of the tests
- Interpretation of the specifications (interpretation through public authorities)
- Support in the preparation of manufacturer documentation
- COP Tests (conformity of production)
Designated Testing Procedures
As a Technical Service, we are designated for more than 400 national and international testing procedures.
Our designations cover both EU framework regulations VO(EU) 2018/858 and VO(EU)167/2013 with all accompanying individual legislative acts as well as the equivalent UN regulations and the stipulations of German national road traffic regulations (StVZO).
Within the framework of EU and UN regulations, we conduct testing on the basis of physical or virtual procedures for:
- Passenger cars and buses (class M), trucks (class N) and trailers (class O)
- Vehicles for special purposes (for example mobile cranes, motor homes)
- Agricultural and forestry tractors (class T)
- Parts, components, independent technical units
- Multi-stage type-approvals for example for body builders
- Small series type-approvals
- Individual vehicles
Our experienced specialists conduct tests globally in SGS test laboratories or in external laboratories, provided they meet the ISO/IEC 17025 requirements. Please contact us to have the suitability of your laboratory evaluated.
We will issue the required technical reports and handle the approval process on your behalf with European (KBA, RDW, Transport Styrelsen, NSAI) and non-European (e.g. Taiwan) authorities.
In addition, our experts are members of relevant committees and bodies who promote the development of standards or define the requirements of innovative technologies. This is how we gain access to current trends and developments, which we can then share with you.
Why choose SGS?
SGS offers a suite of homologation consultation, testing and support services to help manufacturers worldwide produce and bring vehicles to market that are safe and compliant with the legal requirements of the target markets.