Performance on Occupational Health and Safety
Although our five-year data reveals a downward trend, the Total Recordable Incident Rate is slightly above our 2014 goal at 1.13. We are deeply saddened that three* employees lost their lives in work-related incidents. These incidents highlight the importance in us continually reinforcing the SGS Rules for Life and our safety culture across the business.
* This figure covers all affiliates in which SGS operates, not just trend countries.
Full data on Occupational Health and Safety performance is available in our Data Bank.
The content of this webpage has been verified and assured.
2014 Commitment Status Update on Progress Conduct our second global Safety Day in 2014 Achieved Second global Safety Day held in June 2014, using the theme, “Prevention through Intervention” Roll-out OIMS to the remainder of South America, plus Hong Kong, East Asia, and North America in 2014, and complete full global roll-out in 2015 On track OIMS rolled out in Hong Kong, Brazil, East Asia, Western Europe, Southern and Central Europe, Italy and North America during 2014. Planned roll out in South East Asia Pacific and Northern and Central Europe in early 2015 will complete the global roll-out by mid-2015 Put in practice the OI tools and associated skills in 2014, such as the risk assessment methodology, incident investigation methodology and industrial hygiene training, to H&S professionals, and further field coaching sessions for senior management Behind schedule While significant progress was made in implementing our risk assessment and incident investigation methodologies during 2014, our industrial hygiene (IH) program has been deferred to 2015 following the appointment of a new IH team Ensure the quality of data collected through Crystal and make greater use of data analysis to identify trends in 2014 Achieved Crystal 2.0 launched in response to feedback from affiliates requested a more streamlined and user-friendly interface 2014 Shared Goal StatuS Update on Progress Total Recordable Incident Rate below 1 by 2014 On track
Although our five-year data reveals a downward trend, the TRIR is slightly above our 2014 goal at 1.13. We are deeply saddened this included three* employee and contractor fatalities.
* This figure covers all affiliates in which SGS operates, not just trend countries
- Launch revised OI vision, mission, strategy and objectives based around seven key pillars: Leadership, Communication, Training & Awareness, Resources & Skills, KPIs, Audits & Compliance, and EHS Assessments
- Support leadership in demonstrating visible commitment to OI
- Reinforce OI global structure with defined roles and strengthen areas of expertise (in industrial hygiene, learning and development, chemicals, and behavioral based safety)
- Enhance OI performance management and reporting through enhanced tools, KPIs, targets, communication and visibility
- Develop communications and training on OI linked to key topics
- Upgrade SGS Rules for Life
- Ensure OIMS is fully implemented globally by mid-2015
- Continuously improve audit and compliance-based processes, including self-assessments