Our Approach to Sustainability
Sustainability is deeply ingrained in our corporate culture, and we are an internationally recognized leader in the field.
At SGS, sustainability is about using our scale and our expertise to enable a more responsible, balanced and sustainable future. We strive to become an ever more sustainable company by maximizing the positive impact we have on all of our stakeholder groups while minimizing our negative impact throughout the value chain.
Sustainability is a distinct and integral part of the SGS Business Principles. These are fundamental overarching beliefs and behaviors that guide our decisions and allow us to embody the SGS brand in everything we do.
Our Sustainability Strategy
The SGS Sustainability Strategy is based on an analysis of a series of Global Drivers:
- External megatrends that are influencing our business: climate change, rapid urbanization, population and social trends, economic growth and technological disruption
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The results of our risk assessment
- Our identified material topics. See our Materiality Matrix
Our Sustainability Strategy is built on four pillars: Professional Excellence, People, Environment and Community. Each pillar is supported by Group-wide policies, global programs and local initiatives. This structure guides our Ambitions 2020 and helps us add sustainable value to society.
The Global Drivers provide us with the information we need to set our Ambitions and to establish our Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) under each pillar. This in turn guides our management system, which monitors our progress against our Ambitions and KPIs. Our management teams oversee this whole process through our governance mechanisms, ensuring that our Sustainability Strategy stays in line with current external and internal analysis.
The Sustainable Development Goals
The SDGs were developed by the United Nations as a comprehensive and universally recognized framework of global priorities and aspirations for 2030. Our Sustainability Ambitions 2020 are closely linked to the SDGs, and our services support them, as shown in the mapping of our direct operations, supply chain and services against the SDGs. This mapping illustrates our current contributions and supports us in creating aligned strategic plans, allocating resources and developing associated local management and reporting processes.
Value to Society
We add more than just financial value to society. We add value to society through our operations, supply chain and services.
- Sustainability services: we enable our customers to adopt more sustainable business practices and to create more sustainable products, technologies and services
- Corporate sustainability programs: internally, we promote our own social, environmental and economic performance via local and global initiatives
- Engagement activities and external partnerships: we combine our knowledge and expertise to deliver scalable programs, both internally and with external stakeholders, that contribute to sustainable development
To understand our value creation and make better strategic decisions, we have developed our SGS Impact Valuation Framework, which aims to quantify and monetize our positive and negative impacts on society beyond our financial return.
Reporting Online and Offline
We are committed to helping our stakeholders understand sustainability at SGS within the wider context of our business performance. Consequently, since 2014, we have been working toward delivering an integrated report. For now, an overview of our sustainability commitments, performance and management priorities is already available in our Annual Report. Meanwhile, further details on our sustainability management approach and performance are provided in our Sustainability Report.
Give us your feedback. Please fill in our contact form.