Monitoring and Measuring Sustainability Performance
Regular analysis is essential for managing sustainability risks and opportunities in our global business. We measure our global sustainability performance by tracking progress against sustainability targets. Data are presented to senior management every six months via our Green Book – where we identify the qualitative, quantitative and financial metrics that pinpoint where actions are required to mitigate risk or maximize opportunities across our affiliates.
Any critical sustainability concerns are reported directly to the CEO. Senior management is kept informed of sustainability issues by:
- Yearly presentations to the Sustainability Steering Committee and periodically to the Operations Council by the Vice President Corporate Sustainability
- Results of the CATALYST employee survey on topics such as employee engagement
- Sustainability workshops for senior management at affiliate level
- Analysis of our performance by external ratings agencies and research organizations
- Performance data on the number and type of violations of the SGS Code of Integrity reported via the confidential integrity helpline
- Periodic reporting by the Vice President Corporate Sustainability to the CEO
Data collection is key to driving our sustainability performance. Progress on our sustainability targets is tracked using more than 90 quantitative indicators. These cover the four pillars of our sustainability management system and the requirements of GRI as well as the Dow Jones Sustainability World and Europe Indices. Each country we operate in reports on these indicators every six months through our data management tool Solaris, which is part of our financial reporting system.
To help ensure initial data entry is always robust, we offer our teams training and provide a manual with guidance on the most reliable sources of information and the need for supporting documentation.
Data is collected by our Corporate Finance team, which applies the same rigor here as it does to our financial data. The data is then audited at both country and Group level. In addition, information in our Sustainability Report and our Sustainability Review is submitted to an independent assurance process.
The content of this webpage has been verified and assured.