Greening Our Office Supplies Supply Chain, in Partnership with Lyreco
In 2017, SGS formalized its commitment to the sustainable procurement of office supplies by integrating a sustainability clause into an extended contract with global supplier Lyreco.
The contract details SGS’s sustainability standards covering ethical, environmental and social considerations, and how it expects Lyreco to meet these standards in its own operations and in its product portfolio.
The following criteria for office supplies were specified:
- Preference to be given to products coded as environmentally friendly
- Preference to be given to products with an established eco certified label
- Preference to be given to 100% post-consumer recycled paper. Where this is not available for a given product, preference should be given to a mixture of recycled paper and paper made from fibers from responsibly managed forests (e.g. bearing an appropriate certification label such as FSC, PEFC). Preference should be given to recycled, reusable or refillable products
- Optional remanufactured toners and cartridges (from original, one-use cartridges) may be included
- Optional water-based inks for markers should be included
Lyreco also agreed to comply with the SGS Code of Conduct and SGS Code of Integrity.
Lyreco reports that 29% of SGS’s spend on office products in 2017 were “green products”. We intend to work with Lyreco to increase our share of green products in the total spend and to encourage the purchasing of green products through communications and by raising awareness among our local procurement managers.