In 2018, We Continued to Green our Office Supplies Supply Chain, in Partnership with Lyreco
In 2017, SGS formalized its commitment to the sustainable procurement of office supplies by integrating a sustainability clause into an extended contract with Lyreco.
The worldwide distributor of office supplies and workplace products complies with the SGS Code of Conduct for Suppliers and the SGS Code of Integrity and provides products that follow our specified criteria:
- Preference to be given to products coded as environmentally friendly
- Preference to be given to products with an established eco-certified label
- Preference to be given to 100% post-consumer recycled paper. Where this is not available for a given product, preference should be given to a mixture of recycled paper and paper made from fibers from responsibly managed forests (e.g. bearing an appropriate certification label such as FSC or PEFC)
- Preference should be given to recycled, reusable or refillable products
- Optional remanufactured toners and cartridges (from original, one-use cartridges) may be included
- Optional water-based inks for markers should be included
For the year 2018, Lyreco reports that 31% of SGS’s spend on office products were for green products (compared to 29% in 2017). Of these, 64% of our spend was on recycled paper, 63% on green filing products, 45% on eco-friendly cleaning products, and 34% on recycled notebooks and pads. We are working with Lyreco to further increase the proportion of green products in the total spend on office products, and we continue to promote the purchasing of green products among our local procurement managers.