Spain has published a new law to promote a circular economy. The new legislation will be implemented in phases, starting April 10, 2022.
On April 9, 2022, Spain published Law 7/2022 of April 8 on waste and contaminated soil for a circular economy. This new law contains, among other things, several important provisions:
- Transposes Directive (EU) 2019/904 on the reduction of the impact of certain plastic products on the environment (Single-Use Plastics (SUP) Directive) into national law. Further information on the SUP Directive can be found in the European Commission Website ‘Single use plastics’
- Transposes Directive (EU) 2018/851, amending Directive 2008/98/EC on waste (Waste Framework Directive, WFD, consolidated version to July 2018), into national law
- Directs competent authorities to adopt measures to prevent the generation of waste. Among the specified measures are:
- To promote and support sustainable and circular production and consumption models
- To promote the reduction of hazardous substances in materials and products in accordance with established harmonized EU legislation, especially substances under Annex XIV of REACH ‘Authorization List,’ restricted substances under Annex XVII of REACH and endocrine disruptors, as well as the prohibition of bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates in packaging (Article 18(i))
- Introduces a special tax on non-reusable plastic containers (including non-reusable containers that contain plastic) with certain derogations (effective January 1, 2023)
The new law repeals Law 22/2011 of July 28 on waste and contaminated soil.
There are two effective dates:
- April 1, 2022, for provisions other than Title VII
- January 1, 2023, for Title VII ‘Tax Measures to Encourage the Circular Economy’
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us for more information or visit our website.
For inquiries, please contact:
Dr. Hingwo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
© SGS Group Management SA - 2022 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.