SAFEGUARDS | Toys & Juvenile ProductsNO. 081/21
Products subject to the proposed standard would need to have a sleep surface angle no greater than 10° and would need to meet the requirements of the CPSC standard for bassinets and cradles.
The Commission proposes to incorporate by reference ASTM F3118-17a, with following exclusions or additions:
Modification to the introduction and scope of the referenced standard:
1. Replace the term “infant inclined sleep products” with “infant sleep products” throughout the ASTM F3118-17a standard'
2. Instead of complying with section 1.3 of ASTM F3118-17a, comply with the following:
a. This consumer safety performance specification covers products that are not covered by other ASTM standards for sleep such as:
- ASTM F1169 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Full-Size Baby Cribs
- ASTM F406 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Non-Full-Size Baby Cribs/Play Yards
- ASTM F2194 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Bassinets and Cradles
- ASTM F2906 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Bedside Sleepers
3. Instead of complying with section 2 of ASTM F3118-17a, comply with applicable ASTM and Federal Standards intended for sleep products: (ASTM F1169/16 CFR 1219, ASTM F406/16 CFR 1220/16 CFR 1221, ASTM F2194/16 CFR 1218, ASTM F2906/16 CFR 1222)
4. Do not comply with sections 2.3 and 2.4 of ASTM F3118-17a, including Figures 1 and 2.
5. Throughout the ASTM F3118-17a standard, replace the term “accessory inclined sleep product” with “accessory infant sleep product”
6. Do not comply with sections 3.1.3 through 3.1.6 of ASTM F3118-17a
7. Instead of complying with section 3.1.7 of ASTM F3118-17a, comply with the following:
- 3.1.7 infant sleep product, n— a freestanding product, intended to provide a sleeping accommodation for an infant up to approximately five months of age, that is generally supported by a stationary or rocker base and that is not subject to any of the Federal Standards intended for sleep
8. Do not comply with sections 22.214.171.124 through 3.1.9 of ASTM F3118-17a
9. Instead of complying with section 3.1.10 of ASTM F3118-17a, comply with the following:
- 3.1.10 newborn sleep product, n— a free standing product, intended to provide sleeping accommodations for a newborn up to approximately three months of age, that is supported by a stationary or rocker base and whose seat back length, measured from the bight, is not greater than 17 in. (432 mm) and that is not subject to any of the Federal Standards intended for sleep
10. Do not comply with sections 3.1.11 through 3.1.13 of ASTM F3118-17a
11. Do not comply with section 5 of ASTM F3118-17a
12. Do not comply with sections 6.1 through 6.8 of ASTM F3118-17a
13. Instead of complying with section 6.9 of ASTM F3118-17a, comply with the following:
a. 6.9 Maximum Seat Back Angle
b. 6.9.1 Accessory, Compact, and Infant Sleep Product — The angle of the seat back surface intended for sleep along the occupant's head to toe axis relative to the horizontal shall not exceed 10° when tested in accordance with 7.11.2
c. 6.9.2 Accessory, Compact, and Newborn Sleep Product — The angle of the seat back surface intended for sleep along the occupant's head to toe axis relative to the horizontal shall not exceed 10° when tested in accordance with 7.11.3
d. 6.9.3 Accessory, Compact, Infant Sleep Products, and Newborn Sleep Products — shall meet requirements of 16 CFR part 1218 Safety Standard for Bassinets and Cradles
14. Do not comply with sections 6.10 through 7.10 of ASTM F3118-17a
15. In section 126.96.36.199 of ASTM F3118-17a, replace “If applicable, place the product in the manufacturer's recommended highest incline angle position” with “If applicable, place the product in the manufacturer's recommended highest seat back angle position intended for sleep”
16. In section 7.11.3 of ASTM F3118-17a, replace “Newborn Inclined Sleep Product and Newborn Inclined Sleep Product Accessory” with “Accessory, Compact, Infant Sleep Products, and Newborn Sleep Products”
17. Do not comply with sections 7.12 through 9, or the Appendix, of ASTM F3118-17a
The proposed Safety Standard for Infant Sleep Products requires accessory, compact, infant sleep products, and new-born sleep products to meet these requirements.
The Commission proposes a 12-month effective date after publication of a final rule (approximately mid 2022), for products manufactured or imported on or after that date.
SGS offers a range of consulting, training, product development, testing, auditing and inspection services to help you demonstrate that your products are safe, high quality, and that they comply with the strict regulations that are enforced by markets around the world. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us for more information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
t: (973) 461-7953
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2021 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.