SAFEGUARDS | Consumer ProductsNO. 076/21
On May 28, 2021, the European Union (EU) published Regulation (EU) 2021/849 as an adaptation to technical and scientific progress (ATP) to amend Part 3 to Annex VI of Regulation (EC) 1272/2008 on Classification, Labeling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures (CLP Regulation, consolidated version to May 2021).
This amendment contains changes to the list of chemicals falling under Annex XVI to the CLP Regulation. The latest ATP contains important changes to Table 3 of Part 3 under Annex XVI ‘List of Harmonized Classification and Labeling Hazardous Substances’. It:
- Adds 22 new entries, including citric acid (CAS 77-92-9)
- Replaces 41 entries, including:
- Removing the specific concentration limit (SCL) for boric acid and diboron trioxide, both of which are reprotoxic 1B substances (Index Nos. 005-007-00-2 and 005-008-00-8)
- Placing 1) tetraboron disodium heptaoxide, hydrate, 2) disodium tetraborate, anhydrous, 3) orthoboric acid, sodium salt, 4) disodium tetraborate decahydrate and 5) disodium tetraborate pentahydrate (all reprotoxic 1B substances) as one group without an SCL (index No. 005-011-00-4)
- Deletes Index No. 015-192-0001 on tetrakis(2,6-dimethylphenyl)-m-phenylene biphosphate
The latest ATP will enter into force on June 17, 2021 and apply from December 17, 2022 – substances and mixtures may be classified, labeled and packaged in accordance with this amendment from the date of entry into force.
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Contact us for more information or visit our website.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2021 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.