SAFEGUARDS | Cosmetics, Personal Care and HouseholdNO. 127/20
China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) released Notice  No.80 on January 16, 2020, to forbid the use of microbeads in cosmetic products.
- A ban on manufacturing cosmetic products containing plastic microbeads – by the end of 2020
- A ban on the sale of cosmetic products containing plastic microbeads – by the end of 2022
Further to Notice  No. 80, on July 10, 2020, the NDRC released Notice  No.1146 to give a detailed definition and scope of this prohibition:
- Scope of prohibition in cosmetic products:
- Rinse-off cosmetic products intended for scrubbing, exfoliating, and cleaning etc., such as shower gels, facial cleaners, scrubs and shampoos. Toothpastes and toothpowders are also included
- Definition of microbeads in cosmetic products:
- Intentionally added plastic particles the size of which is less than 5mm
Manufacturers of cosmetic and personal care products need to be aware of these new restrictions, which will come into force by the end of 2020.
With the development of new products, regulations for cosmetics, personal care and household are fast changing and increasingly complex. To stay up-to-date with the latest legislation, check out our powerful regulatory compliance platform, SGS Digicomply.
For enquiries, please contact:
t: +86 020 2909 3881
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: Subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.