EU RAPEX: Hand Disinfectant Recalls
RAPEX, the EU’s rapid alert system for dangerous non-food products has issued reports that hand disinfectants have been found with a number of risks, which has lead to the products’ withdrawal from EU markets.
SAFEGUARDS | Cosmetics, Personal Care & HouseholdNO. 119/20
Hand sanitizers, which have become essential during the COVID-19 pandemic, help people to ensure good personal hygiene. However, recent market surveillance data from RAPEX, the EU’s rapid alert system for dangerous non-food products has issued reports that hand disinfectants have been found with a number of risks, which has lead to the products’ withdrawal from EU markets.
Based on the recent RAPEX reports, hand disinfectants are mostly found with three main non-conformities:
- Products contain methanol an acute toxic substance harmful to the nervous system and eyes. Ingestion or skin contact with methanol could lead to blindness and death
- Products contain an insufficient amount of active substances (e.g. ethanol, propan-2-ol). This will increase the risk of infection, since active substances are not sufficient to kill bacteria or viruses
Fire Risk and Others
- Products lack appropriate hazard pictograms and warnings. In the presence of an ignition source products containing alcohol pose a risk of fire. Appropriate hazard pictograms and warning text should be used, as per the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulations and the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR)
The following measures are applied to non-conformant hand disinfectants:
- Recall from end users
- Making the marketing of the product subject to prior conditions
- Removal of product listing by online marketplace
- Withdrawal from the market
With the development of new products, regulations for cosmetics, personal care and household are fast changing and increasingly complex. To stay up-to-date with the latest legislation, check out our powerful regulatory compliance platform, SGS Digicomply.
For enquiries, please contact:
Queenie Ho-yan TSE
Assistant Technical Service Manager
T: +852 2765 3672
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.