US CPSC Issues a Final Rule for Gates and Enclosures
The US CPSC has published the final rule to incorporate the latest version of the ASTM standard for Gates and Enclosures.
SAFEGUARDS | Consumer ProductsNO. 113/20
On July 6, 2020, the US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) has published the final rule, 16 CFR 1239, establishing a safety standard for Gates and Enclosures. The rule incorporates the latest version ASTM F1004-19, Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Expansion Gates and Expandable Enclosures with modification and will become effective on July 6, 2021.
The standard defines:
- Expansion gates as a “barrier intended to be erected in an opening, such as a doorway, to prevent the passage of young children, but which can be removed by older persons who are able to operate the locking mechanism”
- Expandable enclosures as a “self-supporting barrier intended to completely surround an area or play-space within which a young child may be confined”
The following are modifications to ASTM F1004-19:
- Changed the definition for the word “conspicuous” in section 3.1.3
- Added “visual side-pressure indicator” and “side pressure” definitions (sections 3.1.16 and 3.1.17)
- Added section 6.8, performance requirements for visual side-pressure indicators
- Changed section 184.108.40.206, horizontal push-out test procedure
- Changed Note 11 regarding “address” verbiage in section 8.5
- Excluded section 8.5.3, requirement regarding wall cups or other hardware to meet section 6.3.1 requirements
- Added section 8.5.8, warning statement requirements for pressure-mounted gates that provide wall cups or other mounting hardware to meet section 6.3 requirements
- Added section 9.5, instructional literature requirements for pressure-mounted gates with visual side-pressure indicators
- Added section X220.127.116.11, rationale for visual side-pressure indicators requirement in 6.8
Copies of the standard can be purchased at https://www.astm.org/Standards/F1004.htm.
SGS has dedicated experts and services to assist you in the development of juvenile products and childcare articles. SGS offers physical/mechanical tests, chemical tests, packaging evaluation and inspections to ensure the compliance of your products in target markets.
Armed with a worldwide network of laboratories in the United States, China, Taiwan and Vietnam, SGS offers comprehensive testing capabilities against US standards and regulations, offering a one stop service to the juvenile products industry.
For enquiries, please contact:
SGS Consumer and Retail
Technical Director (Hardlines)
t: +1 (973) 461-7953
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2020 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’ prior written consent.