SAFEGUARDS | Consumer Products NO. 138/19
On September 20, 2019, the World Trade Organization (WTO) circulated a proposal from Malaysia announcing its intention to regulate formaldehyde emissions from wood-based panel products under the Malaysian Timber Industry Board (Incorporation) Act 1973 (Act 105).
- Particleboards/chipboards (HS Code 44.10)
- Fiberboards (HS Code 44.11)
- Plywood (HS Code 44.12)
The draft technical regulation contains, inter alia, several important provisions:
- Requiring formaldehyde emissions to be carried out by a laboratory accredited by a National Accreditation Agency that is a member of Asia Pacific Accreditation Cooperation (APAC) or International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC)
- Requiring manufacturers and suppliers of regulated products to submit a test report issued under Regulation 5 as determined by the Board
- Requiring importers of regulated products to submit a test report under Regulation 5 and other documentation as prescribed by the Board for an import license
According to the WTO document, there are two proposed dates in the draft technical regulation:
- January 2, 2020 for the date of adoption
- July 1, 2020 for the date of entry into force
Highlights of formaldehyde emission requirements are summarized in Table 1.
|WTO Document number 19-6067, September 20, 2019
Malaysian Timber Industry (Incorporation) Act 1973 (Act 195)
Draft Wood Industrial Regulation (Formaldehyde Emission Levels from Wood-Based Panel Products) 2019
|Formaldehyde Emission Class|
|Formaldehyde emission level
MS 1787-Part 15
MS 1787-Part 14
||MS 228 (Plywood)
MS 1912 (Fiberboard)
MS 1036 (Particleboard/Chip board)
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
t: (+852) 2774 7420
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.