China Releases a New Product Standard for Knitted Sportswear – GB/T 22853-2019
China issued a revised version of its national standard for knitted sportswear GB/T 22853-2019. The revised standard will become effective on January 1, 2020.
SAFEGUARDS | Softlines NO. 119/19
The National Technical Committee of Garments under the Standardization Administration of China issued an updated version of its product standard GB/T 22853-2019 for knitted sportswear. The 2019 version of the standard replaces the one issued in 2009, and the new version will be implemented on January 1, 2020. The new standard was included in No. 7 announcement 2019 on the newly approved national standards in the People’s Republic of China.
This standard is applicable to knitted sportswear. It does not cover infant clothing for children aged 36 months or younger.
Main Technical Changes
Compared with GB/T 22853-2009, GB/T 22853-2019 contains many revisions.
What are added include:
- The statement of “This standard does not apply to infant clothing aged 36 months or younger”;
- Normative reference documents GB/T 6529, GB/T 21655.1-2008, GB/T 29862, GB/T 31127-2014, GB31701, FZ/T01101;
- The terms "fluorescence colour" and "children garment";
- Colourfastness to wet rubbing (Children), absorption and quick-drying performance, and appearance after laundering in Table 1;
- The requirement that children’s clothing should also comply with the relevant provisions of GB 31701;
- The requirements that colour fastness to laundering, colour fastness to rubbing, colour fastness to perspiration and colour fastness to water do not need to be tested for natural colour or bleached products;
- The requirement that absorption and quick-drying performance are only evaluated for products with this function clearly claimed on the clothing;
- Test methods for absorption, quick-drying and appearance after laundering;
- Measurement sketch of skirt and rules of measuring parts;
- Single piece judgement rules and other judgement rules.
What are revised include:
- The requirements for colour fastness testing of shell and lining;
- The requirements for colour fastness to light, colourfastness to light with artificial perspiration and bursting strength;
- The code of GB/T 8629;
- The rule of grade classification;
- Sewing requirement;
- Assessment of appearance defects and instruction for use;
- The name change of Table 4 and 5 to Table 3 and 4, and the assessment items and requirements in Table 3 and 4.
What are removed include:
- Colourfastness to laundering and colourfastness to rubbing for printed (or pyrographic) fabric;
- GB/T 251, GB/T 2911, GB/T 8878, FZ/T 01053 from the Normative References.
Physical and Chemical Test Requirements
Physical and chemical test requirements include internal quality and appearance quality. Internal quality includes fiber content, formaldehyde, pH value, odor, decomposable carcinogenic aromatic amines, colourfastness (colourfastness to laundering, colourfastness to rubbing, colourfastness to perspiration, colourfastness to water, colourfastness to light, colourfastness to light with artificial perspiration, colourfastness to transfer in joints), seam strength for trouser back rise, bursting strength, pilling, dimensional change after laundering, skewness after laundering, absorption and quick-drying and appearance after laundering. Appearance quality includes appearance defects, dimension tolerance, dimension difference in symmetric position and sewing requirements.
Details of the Technical Content
For more information, please refer to the China Product Standard GB/T 22853-2019<Knitted sportwears> or contact SGS directly.
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Discover more at www.sgs.com/softlines.
For enquiries, please contact:
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
t: +1 973 461 7919
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.