Gafta, which represents the trade and supply of agricultural commodities, animal feed materials, pulses, rice, spices and general produce worldwide, launched its new Standard in June 2018 in efforts to raise the international standards for the fumigation of the agricultural commodity trade.
Following successful audits, SGS's operations in Bulgaria, Canada, Estonia*, Latvia*, France, Germany, Poland, Romania, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine have all been certified as Approved Fumigators against the new standard.
Alexander Stock, Fumigation Business Development Manager said: "We've been working hard to gain Approved Fumigator status across our operations and are delighted to have achieved the standard in 11 locations within a year of its launch. Our work continues to gain further certifications in other locations and we welcome the opportunity this brings to raise standards further and increase awareness of infestation and the use of fumigants in traded agricultural commodities markets."
SGS authorized operations will now be listed on Gafta's Approved Register of Fumigators for audits to its revised Standard for Fumigation. Organizations trading goods on Gafta contracts, which incorporate 132 fumigation rules, will need to employ a fumigator from the Approved Register from September 1, 2019.
SGS's fumigation services prevent the spread of pests and minimize the risk of damage to goods. Its fumigation and pest management services – which are effective and reliable at all stages of the supply chain – include:
- Fumigation of stored goods
- Fumigation of bagged and bulk agricultural commodities in silos, stacks and warehouses
- Fumigation during or prior to shipment
- Disinfection of empty holds
- Denaturation and coloration
- Fumigation of cargos loaded in barges and other vessels, containers, trains and trucks
- Biocide treatment of cargoes
- Treatment of agricultural commodities against insects and mites
- Disinfection and fumigation for the food and beverage industry
- Fumigation of structures (e.g. flour mills)
- Pre-shipment treatment of wooden packaging materials according to ISPM-15
- Quarantine fumigation of wood and timber, to obtain a phytosanitary certificate
- Ventilation and gas-free measurement, including removal of fumigation residues
- Training and audits
For more information please contact:
Agriculture, Food and Life
International Sales and Development Manager Fumigation
SGS Belgium NV
m: +32 474 62 80 96
t: +32 3 570 97 66
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.