Off-site testing can be inconvenient and time-consuming. Many manufacturers already operate their own testing laboratories. With the Customer Testing Facility (CTF) program these laboratories can be utilized within the framework of various international and SGS certifications.
The CTF concept allows a manufacturer’s testing laboratory to be used as a satellite facility under the SGS network. Essentially, the facility is approved to perform tests against relevant standards, with the official report and certificate being issued by SGS.
To achieve CTF status, a facility must undergo a rigorous assessment process to ensure it meets the required standards for quality and expertise. The process involves:
- Assessment of the CTF’s capabilities by SGS specialists
- Confidence building between SGS and the CTF
- Extensive information exchanges between SGS and the CTF
- Comprehensive witnessing and supervision program
The CTF program is available to testing facilities that fulfill the technical and Quality Management (QMS) requirements of ISO/IEC 17025, with explicit reference to the activities to be performed by the CTF.
The CTF program is an evolving four-stage process:
- Stage 1 – Full testing carried out by SGS staff at CTF
- Stage 2 – Witnessing 100 percent of each test program
- Stage 3 – Witnessing selected parts of each test program
- Stage 4 – Witnessing selected parts of selected test programs
Each stage represents a higher level of confidence and understanding between the CTF and SGS. Initially, the customer will begin with either Stage 1 or Stage 2, but as confidence grows in the CTF’s QMS, testing expertise and experience, it will progress to Stages 3 and 4. The higher stages also reflect greater responsibility being afforded to the CTF.
Work carried out by CTFs will result in official test reports and certificates being issued by SGS. In addition to certification under the SGS framework, CTF’s can also assist in the preparation of test reports and certification against various European (CCA, ENEC, ENEC+) and international (IECEE CB) schemes.
For more information, please contact:
Business Unit Manager