EU Strengthens Market Surveillance by Adopting Regulation (EU) 2019/1020
Regulation (EU) 2019/1020 will be applicable from July 16, 2021. A Union Product Compliance Network (UPCN) to be set up by January 1, 2021.
SAFEGUARDS | Consumer Products NO. 097/19
Regulation (EU) 2019/1020 on market surveillance and compliance of products was published on June 25, 2019. It applies to all products subject to EU harmonized Regulations indicated in Annex I. The aim is to improve market surveillance and compliance with product regulations.
The regulation sets the following requirements:
- Sales online are subject to surveillance when an economic operator directs its activities to a Member State market by any means
- Non-EU vendors are required to have a representative in the EU
- The fulfillment service provider becomes responsible when there is no representative in the EU (a fulfillment service provider is a person or company offering at least two of the following services: warehousing, packaging, addressing and dispatching, without having ownership of the products involved; courier and postal companies are specifically excluded).
Economic operator in the EU:
- An economic operator must be established in the EU in order to:
- Ensure the availability of the conformity documentation
- Cooperate with market surveillance authorities
- Inform authorities when they have reasons to believe that a product presents a risk
Such an economic operator can be a manufacturer established in the EU, an importer, an authorized representative or a fulfillment service provider.
- Market surveillance national authorities are granted strengthened powers
- The tasks of market surveillance are defined and powers like taking samples and imposing penalties are harmonized
- Market surveillance authorities may reclaim all cost of their activities in case of non-compliant products
- Harmonized approach for surveillance at EU borders by customs and surveillance authorities
- A Union Product Compliance Network (UPCN) to be set up by January 1, 2021
The regulation will apply from July 16, 2021, except for the setting up of the Union Product Compliance Network, which has to be established by January 1, 2021.
Read the full text of Regulation (EU) 2019/1020.
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
t: +31 65 154 2190
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry
© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.