SAFEGUARDS | Hardgoods NO. 094/19
On June 25, 2019, Health Canada issued a notice that a new Canadian national voluntary standard being developed by CSA group for barbecue grill brushes (Z630) is open for public review and comments. The draft standard covers the construction, mechanical, instructions and marking requirements for hand held barbecue grill brushes (including replacement heads) with metal bristles intended for cleaning cooking surfaces of barbecue grills.
Mechanical requirements include:
- Wire Bristle Tuft Attachment Strength
- Wire Bristle Durability – Cycle and Load Force
Instructions and marking requirements include:
- Each brush shall have permanent warning in both English and French that remain legible, clearly visible, with good contrast and unobstructed throughout the useful life of the brush
- The warning shall be in accordance to ANSI Z21.89/CSA 1.18, cl 5.31
- The warning shall have the following statements in bold, upper case letters, with safety alert symbol and signal word. It shall also include the company name and address or trademark
Stop using if any bristles are found on the grill. Bristles can get into the food and cause serious injury. Replacement after one year use is recommended.
- The packaging or tags shall be attached to or accompany the brush at the time of sale with the following information in both English and French:
- "Instruction for Safe Use” heading
- Company name and address or trademark
- Safety alert symbol and signal word
- The following statements or equivalent
- Examine the brush prior to each use for loose bristles
- Do NOT use if any loose or broken bristles are found. Discard brush immediately
- Ensure cooking surface and brush are free of any bristles prior to cooking
- Broken bristles can get into the food. Ingestion can cause serious internal injury
- Not for commercial use
The draft standard Z630 can be found on the CSA Group website until August 24, 2019.
SGS is committed to providing information about development in regulations for consumer products as complimentary services. Through a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
For enquiries, please contact:
SGS Consumer and Retail
Technical Manager (Hardlines)
t: +1 (905) 364 3757
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.