SAFEGUARDS | Hardlines NO. 067/19
Designated SOR/2016-172, the regulation further strengthens requirements in an effort to eliminate the strangulation hazard associated with corded window covering products.
Health Canada defines “window coverings” as an interior window covering that incorporates a bead chain, cord or any type of flexible looped device in its operation.
Applying to both off-the-shelf and custom products, SOR/2016-172 goes beyond that of any other country in addressing this hazard to protect children.
The new regulations include specification requirements for:
- Small parts
- Lead content
- Unreachable cords
- Length of reachable cord with one free end
- Length of cord between two consecutive contact points
- Loop perimeter created by reachable cord
- Length and loop perimeter of two reachable cords
Below are the information and advertising requirements of the new regulations:
- Must not make reference to Canada Consumer Product Safety Act or the Regulations
- Every corded window covering, including its packaging must have the following information:
- Model name or number
- Date of manufacture, i.e. year and month or week (in this order)
- Name and address of manufacturer, if produced in Canada
- Name and address of manufacturer and importer, if imported
- Every corded window covering must be accompanied with instructions which include:
- Assembly instruction and parts list, if not sold fully assembled
- Installation and operation instructions
- Every corded window covering, including its packaging, instruction and any advertisements must have the following warning or its equivalent:
Strangulation Hazard — Young children can be strangled by cords. Immediately remove this product if a cord longer than 22 cm or a loop exceeding 44 cm around becomes accessible.
Mise en Garde
Risque d’etranglement — Les enfants en bas âge peuvent s’étrangler avec des cordes. Enlevez immédiatement ce produit si une corde mesurant plus de 22 cm devient accessible ou si le contour d’une boucle de plus de 44 cm devient accessible.
- All information required by the regulations must meet the following requirements:
- It must be in both English and French
- It must be legible and prominently and clearly displayed. Characters must be in sharply contrasting color with the background
- It must remain legible and visible throughout the useful life of the corded window covering under normal condition of transportation, storage, sale and use
- For information required on the corded window covering, it must be indelibly printed on the corded window cover itself or on a label that is permanently affixed to it
- It must be printed in a standard sans-serif type that is not compressed, expanded or decorative and has a large x-height relative to the ascender or descender of the type
- The signal words “Warning” and “Mise en garde” must be boldfaced, uppercase type not less than 5 mm height
- Type height of all other required information must be minimum of 2.5 mm
SOR/2019-97 replaces and repeals SOR/2016-172 and will come into effect on May 1, 2021 to provide manufacturers, importers and retailers time to comply with the new regulations.
If you have any questions or would like to have products evaluated, please contact your customer service representative at SGS.
For enquiries, please contact:
SGS Consumer and Retail
Technical Manager (Hardlines)
t: +1 (905) 364 3757
Stay on top of regulatory changes within your industry: subscribe to SafeGuardS!
Read more articles for the Consumer Goods and Retail industry© SGS Group Management SA - 2019 - All rights reserved - SGS is a registered trademark of SGS Group Management SA. This is a publication of SGS, except for 3rd parties’ contents submitted or licensed for use by SGS. SGS neither endorses nor disapproves said 3rd parties contents. This publication is intended to provide technical information and shall not be considered an exhaustive treatment of any subject treated. It is strictly educational and does not replace any legal requirements or applicable regulations. It is not intended to constitute consulting or professional advice. The information contained herein is provided “as is” and SGS does not warrant that it will be error-free or will meet any particular criteria of performance or quality. Do not quote or refer any information herein without SGS’s prior written consent.