SGS in Bulgaria Joins Gafta's Approved Register of Fumigators
SGS in Bulgaria has achieved "Approved Fumigator" status from Gafta, the Grain and Feed Trade Association, against its new Standard for Fumigation.
Gafta awarded the Certificate of Conformity following a successful audit at SGS's premises in Varna, Bulgaria on February 17, 2019. SGS in Bulgaria will now be listed on Gafta's Approved Register of Fumigators.
A revision of the GTAS Fumigation and Pest Control manual, Gafta's new Standard for Fumigation was launched in June 2018 with the aim of improving levels of competence and understanding about infestation, pest control and fumigants in traded agricultural commodities, animal feed materials and the food supply chain.
Anelia Andreeva, Business Manager for SGS in Bulgaria and Romania, said, "As a leading provider of inspection, certification, verification and testing services in Bulgaria, we are extremely proud to have gained 'Approved Fumigator' status from Gafta."
A fumigator from the Approved Register must now be employed for goods traded on Gafta contracts which incorporate the revised 132 fumigation rules. By September 2019, Gafta intends that these rules will be a mandatory clause in contracts when fumigation is required.
Around the world, SGS is working towards achieving Gafta "Approved Fumigator" status, enabling local teams to deliver the benefits of Gafta approved fumigation services in or on ships, silos, stores and freight containers. These include:
- Acceptance of traded agricultural commodities at destination
- Compliance with all the relevant requirements of the country and ports where vessels or cargo spaces are fumigated or ventilated
- All materials used strictly in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, calibrations and safety precautions on the label, and records retained
- Documents issued following fumigation of goods retained for the minimum period of five years
- Application of a HACCP approach or risk analysis
SGS Fumigation Services
SGS has a long history of performing pest control and fumigation services in ports and logistics centers worldwide. This includes the treatment of cargoes loaded into sea-going vessels, barges and containers. These services comply with stringent national and international legislation, with best practice and with globally agreed quality and safety standards.
SGS's complete fumigation and pest management services include:
- Fumigation of stored goods
- Fumigation during or prior to shipment
- Biocide treatment of cargoes
- Disinfection and fumigation for the food and beverage industry
- Ventilation and gas-free measurement
The Grain and Feed Trade Association (Gafta)
As an international trade association with over 1,800 members in 95 countries, Gafta aims to promote international trade of grains, animal feed and raw ingredients, and to protect its members' interests worldwide. Find more details at www.gafta.com/fumigators where the new Standard can be downloaded.
For more information, please contact:Anelia Andreeva
Bulgaria and Romania Business Manager
t: +359 2 91015
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.